Preprint Systems Modeling Reveals Shared Metabolic Dysregulation and Novel Therapeutic Treatments in ME/CFS and Long COVID, 2024, Gong-Hua et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Long COVID are complex, multisystemic conditions that pose ongoing challenges to healthcare professionals. Emerging research suggests that ME/CFS and Long COVID exhibit overlapping metabolic symptoms, indicating possible shared metabolic dysfunctions.

This study aims to systematically explore these shared metabolic disturbances and their potential treatments. Utilizing our novel metabolic modeling method, GPMM, we identified the key metabolic irregularities in patients with ME/CFS and Long COVID, notably the downregulation of the alanine and aspartate metabolism pathway, and the arginine and proline metabolism pathway. Genome-wide knockout analyses indicated that supplementation with aspartate (ASP) or asparagine (ASN) could potentially ameliorate these metabolic deficiencies. Further metabolic assessments in Long COVID patients highlighted the significant downregulation of ASP in both blood and muscle, supporting our predictions.

Consequently, we propose that the combination of l-ornithine and l-aspartate (LOLA) offers a promising approach to alleviate metabolic symptoms in both ME/CFS and Long COVID patients. This study not only elucidates the shared metabolic pathways in ME/CFS and Long COVID but also positions LOLA as a viable candidate for future clinical trials.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2024.06.17.599450v1?ct=

forestglip, Lindberg, Wyva and 11 others like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First off it’s good to see research on LC and ME/CFS coming out of China.

It seems like they used a novel metabolic modeling method called GPMM (Genome-wide precision metabolic modeling), which is something the authors for example used, or possibly introduced, in this paper https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35343058/ (not well cited).

To run their model on ME the authors simply used the data from the intramural study. Which means that it seems to have sparked some international interest. To run their model on LC they used the data by Wüst et al.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Also, two of the authors are listed as at Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School.

Jaybee00, Michelle, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  4. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been taking part on meetings with the team of Wenzhong Xiao since last November and witnessed their work on using computational methods to identify research "hotspots". Really impressed with their work and there are more upcoming targets which are very interesting IMHO. Note that LOLA is used for managing hepatic encephalopathy :

https://www.elsevier.es/en-revista-...-l-ornithine-l-aspartate-in-S1665268119316084

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quoting Hutan from another thread.

6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cannot comment on the merits of their method, but I think it's excellent that people on this forum and elsewhere are analysing and re-analysing some of the data from the intramural study. I do think it contains some valuable information (for example on diagnostic accuracy, POTS/POT/OI, etc).

One of the more interesting findings of the intramural study to me, which wasn't reported in the paper, were the differences in ANA levels between patients and controls. 24% of ME/CFS patients had positive antinuclear antibodies and only 5% of controls (supplementary material 9). @MelbME do you think there is any aspect under which this can be re-analysed or dived into?

oldtimer, Michelle, horton6 and 12 others like this.
  7. MelbME

MelbME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ANA levels have been observed to be elevated in ME cohorts on several occasions from memory. It would be good to know if this is a predisposing factor or an issue of under diagnosing other autoimmune issues or if it's a developed phenomenon.

I will chat to Wenzhong next week and ask him about the data, I'll ask if he's looking into it more.

8. MelbME

I think this is an interesting paper. I would be interested in the outcome of this treatment concept as well. Difficult part is working out how to get metabolites like these to the tissues of need.

oldtimer, MeSci, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Ha, thank you SNT. I did not recognise the name.

It's terrific that Wenzhong is working with people in Kunming, China. We hear so little about how ME/CFS is regarded in China, let alone in Yunnan. There's a decent understanding of ME/CFS and Long Covid here:
    Edit to add:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    oldtimer, MeSci, Mij and 4 others like this.
  10. Hutan

I'm a bit puzzled.
    For ME/CFS, they find issues with alanine and aspartate, and then "ASN" is mentioned out of nowhere, with no explanation of the acronym.
    Then in Long Covid, there's no mention of alanine and aspartate, but there are issues with Asparagine, which is also referred to as ASN.

The lack of detail in the ME/CFS section about where the asparagine comes into the picture is puzzling, especially as that is the link with the Long Covid findings. And they later say
    even though aspartate isn't specifically mentioned in the LC section.

Googling, I think the three molecules may convert between themselves. But, if so, then I think we needed that connection spelled out in the results in order to follow the links the authors are making.

The Long Covid work uses data from
    Appelman B, Charlton BT, Goulding RP, et al. Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID. Nat Commun 2024; 15(1): 17.
    That's the Wust paper - thread here:
    Muscle abnormalities worsen after post-exertional malaise in long COVID, 2023/4, Wüst, van Vugt, Appelman et al

Assuming there is some tight connection between alanine, aspartate and asparagine, these findings from muscle metabolites are really interesting, and the field of metabolic modelling is fascinating.

11. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. DMissa

DMissa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I am reading this right their ME/CFS data is the RNAseq data from the Wallitt study muscle samples.

DNA -> RNA -> protein -> metabolic function.

This paper seems to say: RNA = metabolic function = treatment target.

Am I missing something?

"GPMM 10 integrates protein abundance estimates from gene expression data" from RNAseq?

"significant metabolic commonalities" using RNA data in one disease case and metabolite data in the other?

"I think he said that he feels confident that...they are unravelling the causes of ME/CFS"

Back to the paper:
    "Consequently, we propose that the combination of l-ornithine and l-aspartate (LOLA) offers a promising approach to alleviate metabolic symptoms in both ME/CFS and Long COVID patients. This study not only elucidates the shared metabolic pathways in ME/CFS and Long COVID but also positions LOLA as a viable candidate for future clinical trials"

I suspect that this isn't at where they think it is yet. That is my good-faith assessment.

13. MelbME

Pathway analyses are a bit clunky. They are simply a guide to suggest that metabolites in this network of pathways are enriched.

They help to focus ideas.

Aspartate and alanine pathway includes aspartate and asparagine.

14. Hutan

Great. The point though is that in the Long covid data, they only talk about asparagine being down regulated. I think the paper should have made clear that asparagine is part of the alanine and aspartate pathway and when it is down-regulated that means that the whole pathway is down regulated, as part of the process of saying 'look we are finding the same sort of thing in these two cohorts'. They needed to tie the two together more conclusively if they were going to propose the same treatment for both. For all we know from this paper, the identified down-regulated reactions in the ME/CFS group and the metabolites in the Long Covid group might have been indicating quite different functioning of the aspartate and alanine pathway in each group.

I mean, I think that's unlikely, I think ME/CFS and ME/CFS-like Long Covid are the same things, but to goes to @DMissa's point on another thread that a bit more thought needs to be given to what is actually happening in a pathway. Perhaps these investigators know exactly what is happening in the pathway or have very good ideas - I just think they should have told us something.

15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Edit : Asparagine is referred to as a non-essential amino acid i.e. the body can make it.

It occurs to me that if ASN turns out to be important in keeping people well, and in avoiding ME/CFS, then perhaps there are genetic problems in the creation of ASN in some people.

Edit 2 : I've just managed to screw up my post by unwise deletion of bits of it!

16. Hutan

Yes, it is mentioned in the Long Covid section. But, in the ME/CFS section, which comes first, it is just mentioned as an acronym 'ASN', with no explanation how it fits in an Alanine and Aspartame pathway.

17. MelbME

I don't know if they do know what's happening in the pathway. Statisticians typically stick to reporting facts rather than interpreting them in my experience.

My guess is that the conclusion of asp and asn is largely driven by what they saw in the pathway. But yes, that doesn't seem to be revealed explicitly from what I can see.

18. MelbME

Asparagine is simply aspartate with an NH3 added.
    Alanine is pyruvate with an NH3 added.

Adding Asparagine or Aspartate would probably produce a similar outcome though asparagine comes with more NH3.

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The increasing emphasis on amino acid metabolism in ME/CFS seems interesting. A shift in metabolism that might in a crude sense be 'anti-inflammatory rather than inflammatory might make some sense.

I doubt, however, that simply increasing availability of substrates for down regulated pathways would be likely to help. It is very likely that the pathways are down regulated as part of an adaptive diversion of resources and adding in substrate may simply aggravate things. An analogy would be pouring in protein to patients with nephrotic syndrome.

The solution will be to find out why the pathway is downrgulated and address that mechanism I think.

20. DMissa

DMissa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In strongly agreeing with this I would also add as a general comment to readers that I think tissue context always needs to be front and centre when we think about these metabolic questions. Eg a T cell upregulating glycolysis or a muscle cell doing so can be driven by mechanisms not even present in the other cell type.