Preprint Systems Modeling Reveals Shared Metabolic Dysregulation and Novel Therapeutic Treatments in ME/CFS and Long COVID, 2024, Gong-Hua et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Aspartate/Asparigine are amino acids that have also been seen to change with diet. Increased asparigine and lower aspartate is associated with «healthier» dietary patterns with more vegetables, nuts and other fibre rich foods and lower junk foods. This would be a diet with more antioxidants, which makes sense since oxidative agents could influence the change between aspartate/asparagine.

oldtimer, Simon M, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. MelbME

MelbME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should add that Aspartate has one N atom.

This N atom in Aspartate is actually the N in NO.

I don't think a lot of people realise how simple this is even in metabolism field. But 99%+ of Nitric Oxide molecules gets the N from aspartate.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
  3. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just realised that asparagine is directly related to N-Linked Glycosylation (I will inform Wenzhong Xiao and his team about this). N-Linked glycosylation is one of the first targets identified by machine learning. If ER Stress is indeed a problem in ME/CFS patients, disruption of N-Linked glycosylation could be the cause of it.

Entry of Wikipedia for Asparagine :

Screen Shot 2024-06-22 at 07.57.40.png

Blog post on N-Linked Glycosylation (October 2017)

http://algogenomics.blogspot.com/2017/10/latest-network-analysis-results.html

As always, I communicated these targets and the potential use of N-Acetyl Glucosamine (NAG) to several ME/CFS researchers in 2017. Interestingly, NAG may be helpful for some patients but caution is advised :

Screen Shot 2024-06-22 at 08.13.19.png

4. MerryB

MerryB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The fact that this is a preprint, data taken from small cohorts, and other potential methodological issues aside - this paper caught my eye because I've noted amino acid metabolism alterations as suggested findings in a few different studies now...

My urine urea output is about 50 % of the lower end of normal (according to 24 hour urine tests), for no explained reason. It may not be related, but findings like this catch my eye as I do ponder whether this could be related to some inefficiency of nitrogen metabolism, and whether this could be related to my ME symptoms. I will be interested to see whether this avenue is supported by further research.

Simon M, NelliePledge, MeSci and 3 others like this.