Teenager with months to live told terminal cancer might be ‘stress’

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Art Vandelay, Jun 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychosomatic nonsense strikes again:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Lou B Lou, Sid, glennthefrog and 13 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The real cost of indulging in psychologising, and why it must be stopped.

3. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually know someone in the UK with a young relative who is experiencing the same thing. Doctors said the child's symptoms were due to them suffering from stress due to exams but it turns out the hospital missed the brain tumour on the MRI.

The child’s current state is now dire. The doctor who told the parents it was stress apparently apologised saying they missed the tumour on the scan.

The family’s first language isn’t English so I’m told there is a lack of confidence in whether to pursue the matter legally. But things are so bad that pretty much everyone aware of the situation is advising them to try seeking legal advice. It’s not something that an apology alone can suffice.

4. AknaMontes

AknaMontes Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This comes down in part to our all being forced to accept biopsychosocial medical care without out consent. Every appt, brief as they already are, is reduced automatically by two thirds of the time being given to absolute nonsense, either directed verbally at the patient or going on in the doctor’s head. So far in my family, in the last three generations, one person has had endometriosis dismissed for six years before being diagnosed, at considerable cost in pain and lost education, another born with a connective tissue disease was only diagnosed at 22, she had been atrociously medically gaslit for over two decades. Another was told his earache wasnt important for months before they realised it was cancer and by then had already spread too far for him to be saved, and another, mid pregnancy, almost died of sepsis because ‘woman with abdominal pain’ was put down to stress. That and forty years of medical gaslighting over ME/CFS doctors had better start looking at how to start rebuilding shattered trust. No wonder nobody wants to work for the NHS, its made itself ridiculous.

Lou B Lou, Sid, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

indeed, that drivel about "mirroring" her mothers backache made me feel sick, poor, poor girl. I hope lessons will be learned, and perhaps they will, by the main Drs involved, but the wider profession will likely just um & ah & go on doing the same thing.

I'm so very sorry to hear this, its appalling.

6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Such appalling, and very sad situations!

And, the gaslighting fans out to relatives and friends of the individuals in question. Either for seeking medical help for their loved one, or in trying to get help for their own medical issues.

7. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can’t even dismiss it as incompetence or malice on behalf of the individual doctor. The whole system is literally geared to funnel patients into the psychosomatic scam - hordes of therapists, apps, self-help books.

Sean, Arnie Pye, rvallee and 8 others like this.