Tell me more about nasal sprays as protection against the coronavirus

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by Hoopoe, Sep 23, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm spending more time indoors and want more protection against the virus. A few years ago nasal sprays were claimed to be effective against the virus, either by creating a protective barrier or killing the virus. Was this hype and marketing or is it true? What's the sentiment on this forum?

Could I just make my own 0.5% povidone-iodine nasal spray?

The intended use would be to use the spray shortly before and after spending time indoors with other people, and when I notice that I'm sick. So it needs to be cheap and unproblematic with frequent use.

I'm also thinking about getting the Novavax vaccine.

I'm hoping that this will limit the risk of long covid and damage done to the body.

2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Starlight, Kitty and Binkie4 like this.
  3. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wits_End, Starlight and Kitty like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bear in mind, though, that if you're laughing, coughing, yawning, preparing to sneeze, or slightly out of breath, you will breathe in through your mouth. We probably do this more than we think.

That's how I got it (at least twice, possibly three times). There's a lot of craic and laughter and I also have to gulp air deep into my lungs in a split second while playing fast tunes, so I've no chance of dodging it.

alktipping and Starlight like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no illusions about avoiding the virus entirely, but maybe I can avoid a portion of future infections and lessen the severity and risk of long covid.

alktipping, Comet, Starlight and 3 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See #3 which includes link to research study on this topic.

alktipping, Starlight and Kitty like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think you need to be careful with trying to make your own nasal sprays. Better to buy one recommended by a pharmacist perhaps. Another option is to wear a well fitting mask, open a window, and have the right sort of air filter running in the room.

Wits_End, alktipping, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A couple of years ago I considered buying a saline nasal/sinus irrigator (Navage) that is often advertised on tv. A doctor advised to rinse only using filtered or sterilized water. Tap water is safe for drinking because our stomach acid kills any bacteria, but if you use tap water in a nasal rinse, the bacteria can continue to thrive and can cause infections, in rare cases, travel to the brain.

Wits_End, Kitty and Trish like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, same reason people who wear hard contact lenses need to make sure no tap water ever splashes into their soaking solution.

alktipping and Mij like this.