The Agenda - Trudie Chalder interview "You can't experience happiness if you don't feel sadness" Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll decide for myself whether or not somebody is gaslighting me, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    James Morris-Lent likes this.
  2. large donner

large donner Guest

One would hope it worked like that.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is important because it is a good example of the wider problem with the BPS MUS, FND etc school of thought.

It is a banal soundbite that seems profound and meaningful at first glance but is deeply problematic when you give it some thought. Too many statements about disease are of this quality. "Software problems rather than hardware damage" for instance.

Happiness does not need sadness to be experienced. Knowing sadness may make you happy about different things but it is not neccessary to the experience.

The phrase also demonstrates the next problem we face. Everyone has experienced sadness (even if just colic as a baby :)) so they can argue that they are right because the phrase as it stands can't be proved, the goalposts can be changed at any time.

Not sure If I am being very clear. It is not against psychology or psychiatry, it is against triteness and sloppy thinking wherever it is found.

4. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well said.

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Mithriel like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Yes, their explanations are a simplification of a complex combination of factors interacting to create depression.
    This article about a woman whose particular genetics prevents her from feeling sadness and pain is an interesting counterpoint, I think
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/13/a-world-without-pain

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

rvallee, MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where can I find this miracle person who has never felt sadness?

ladycatlover, Wonko, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  8. Lidia

Lidia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The irony is that the goal of CBT is to stop one from feeling sadness.

MEMarge likes this.
  9. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That looks like a different argument. Chalder seemed to suggest that it was a matter of logical necessity. Whether or not any person fulfilling the criteria exists, or has ever existed, would be a matter for investigation, though no answer to the problem would be obtained.

MEMarge likes this.
  10. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No it isn't.

Snow Leopard likes this.
  11. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To parse the idea, I don't think experience of sadness is requisite to experience happiness.

However I'd postulate, appreciation of happiness is increased the deeper / more frequent the sadness experience.

I know I appreciate (emotionally) good (physical) days much more because I've had so many bad (physical) days.