The Agreed Care/Activity Plan

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Jonathan Edwards, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hence PROMS
    Assessment and evidence in one woolly defined, double meaning-ed "applicable to all severities" , something for everyone scale .

What could possibly go wrong?

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Anti-science, and proud of it.
    They are indulging, at our expense, in a particularly extreme and cruel example of the sunken cost fallacy.

3. DMissa

DMissa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am absolutely shocked by how many clinicians I have met who treat anecdotal information with less skepticism than published studies or trials.

4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've found this elsewhere for post-op for something else. I think there is more going on and don't really know from the phrase 'research' whether there is anything even evidencing that properly.

There is a belief-system issue potentially just in 'belief-systems know best'. As we know, this sort of thing being used as a blanket concept and the 'expectations' stuff has been something that really has been problematic for those ill enough with ME/CFS that this sort of thing basically hurts them.

I don't think the 'evidence' Lynn claims is even there that people use any kind of 'individual' or 'tailored' in sucking in and implementing 'at' or 'onto' people these ideologies?

"The sooner you start moving, the quicker you will recover.

End “PJ paralysis”

Research shows that if you remain in your pyjamas and spend too much time in bed in hospital you rapidly lose muscle strength, fitness and your ability to walk safely and independently.

By sitting out in your chair to wash and eat, and by getting dressed in your own clothes and footwear, you are much more likely to:
    • Regain your independence and retain your dignity
    • Reduce your care needs on discharge from hospital
    • Reduce the need for urinary catheters and the risk of constipation/continence issues
    • Potentially reduce the length of time you spend in hospital Getting up and dressed is something we will expect you to try and do every day.

Please ask a family member or friend to bring in some appropriate loose fitting clothing and slippers or shoes and toiletries for you as soon as possible."

EDITED to add: In fact I'd go so far as to say, being expected to do so appears to be the real issue causing 'oppobrium' for 'rehab'. SO all the words being said are clearly just nonsense trying to get away with it by persuading those who aren't going to be damaged by it (which will include those with ME/CFS but less ill, and who do need to somehow be asked to stand up for those in the most vulnerable positions) to let their attitude pass. Normally by justification by rhetoric and doing down the individual.

Peter Trewhitt, Ash, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another classic:

"It is important that you practise walking with the nurses to and from the toilet/bathroom where possible, to get you back into your normal daily routine. This will help to build your strength and confidence."

Doesn't sound like it is based on much more than some 'judgement' and with no room for comorbities here.

I can't imagine anyone with ME/CFS losing 'confidence' with going to the loo should their health return and allow them to get there.

This sort of 'attitude leads the way' (and I mean bigotry attitude and coercion, they just don't realise putting a pretend 'it's CBT' crap on it doesn't change that) isn't science or medicine now is it.

Peter Trewhitt, Ash, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is of course if you can find a nurse who isn't chatting to another nurse about her boyfriend and can be bothered to help you.

JemPD, Wonko, Ash and 5 others like this.
  7. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What an amazing personal story, bearing witness to the progression of psychiatry over the decades, and as it crossed into chronic illness of any sort in an organised form.

I would of course agree that the primary motivation was economic. I’d add that pursuit of resource dominance and pursuit of domination more broadly do tend to go hand in hand. I think increasing their power by decreasing ours was very much a desirable way to proceed for them, rather than a regrettable outcome. They’re nothing if not enthusiastic in their endeavours.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Sean, Peter Trewhitt and bobbler like this.
  8. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Once upon a time long ago, I was a user of such a service. So does it to me too
    @Jonathan Edwards.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    Sean, Peter Trewhitt and bobbler like this.