The effect of expectancy versus actual gluten intake on gastrointestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms in non-coeliac gluten..., 2024, De Graaf et al.

Discussion in 'Other specific illnesses' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jul 4, 2024.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks! I had never heard of these rolls, but apparently they are sold in my area. I'll give them a try.

MeSci, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I find all GF bread really sweet

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have a bakery here in Portland that uses a millet starter and it's not half bad. It actually tastes like bread rather than a dish sponge, though the crumb has an ever so slight gumminess to it that wheat bread does not.

I'm also curious what role hormones might play. I developed IBS not long after menarche. Ten years ago I was so FODMAP-intolerant I could not tolerate bread nor much of anything with moderate to high levels of FODMAPs. However, not long after entering perimenopause, I woke up one day to find my IBS had disappeared. I was suddenly constipated and started slowly adding in FODMAPs to get things moving. Eventually ended up eating an apple and drinking a glass of milk -- both things that would have quickly triggered cramping and diarrhea (and because of that, I hadn't had in years)--with no ill effect. Since then I will occasionally have symptoms, but for the most part can eat apples and cherries and peaches and bread to my hearts content. It's glorious!

MeSci, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess I will need trying again with recipes until I find something I like. I am not so attached to sourdough starter, don’t mind using commercial yeast and other leaveners, as long as it tastes and feels good. when the time is right I might just cave in and try a little bun and see what happens…

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some have sugar added - I can't stand them.