Review The effect of massage on patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis 2024 Li et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, May 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

They did not search on ME/CFS

They included 32 studies. All were undertaken in China, so I think that we can assume that the treatment studies is in fact tuina, not general massage. So, it seems that this paper is for a population that is not the same as ME/CFS and it is recommending a treatment that is not the same as the sort of massage most people would typically access in western countries.

The studies are sounding as if they have a high risk of bias, with unblinded treatments, subjective outcomes, no follow-up measures, little reporting on attrition. However this review does not rate many studies as having a high risk of bias.

Ash, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Hutan

Results of the Chalder Fatigue Scale:
    Only six studies. The mean difference was only a reduction of 1.59. That's unlikely to be a clinically significant difference, and is certainly in the realms of placebo/experimental bias.

It is clear that there was an inadequate accounting of treatment harm. And yet, the fact that only one study reported on harms did not stop the investigators reporting

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 3:26 AM
  3. Hutan

Reading between the lines there, that study I mentioned up thread (reference [10]) that found that the percentage of people with CFS having the right psychological characteristics to do CBT was low, must have had problems with people not wanting to do it.

Ash, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  4. Hutan

If we take the reported data from one study that is in the mid range, Feng Wei 2022
    Experimental treatment:.....Mean 4.9........SD 1.29
    Control treatment:............Mean 5.95........SD 1.5
    Mean difference -1.05

I don't really know what these numbers are. I can't find the actual study online. I think these must be the post-treatment scores, for tuina and for a control. I don't know what the scoring system used was, but, even it was the bimodal system, a difference of 1 is nothing much.

I can't really see how you can combine studies that are comparing all sorts of different things. But it seems that it doesn't matter what you compare tuina with, it always seems to come out just a bit better than the other thing.

Feng Wei 2022 : massage vs traditional Chinese medicine : -1.05
    Liang Feng 2014: massage vs acupuncture : -2.52
    Sun Dong Wei 2022: massage + acupuncture vs acupuncture : -2.00
    Wu Xingquan 2011: massage + traditional Chinese medicine : -1.09
    Yao Wei 2012: massage vs psychotherapy : -0.77
    Qi Fengjun: 2020: massage vs acupuncture : -2.00

I think that's more effort than this deserves. I'll stop now.

5. Deanne NZ

Deanne NZ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for going to such extraordinary effort to determine if there was any merit in the doctor’s recommendation. It does not bode well for their credibility. They lost me at the comment that they have either never or rarely see cfs patients with weight loss. A self-proclaimed expert no doubt who does not keep up with current issues & research.

rvallee, Ash, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

One last comment - in the included 32 studies, tuina was compared with an extraordinary range of treatments: moxibustion, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Nursing treatment, psychotherapy, cupping jar, acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine of various sorts, western medicine of various sorts...

And tuina was better than them all.

And yet, that acupuncture review that I looked at yesterday compared acupuncture and moxibustion with all sorts of treatments, including tuina and traditional Chinese medicine. And it concluded that acupuncture and moxibustion (sometimes with other things added) was better than other treatments.

I guess that's the beauty of subjective outcomes with unblinded treatments and all the other subjectivity of the review process - anything can be better than everything else, all at once.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 6:04 AM
    Ash, shak8, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  7. Hutan

In case anyone else ever wants to try to head off a recommendation for massage as an ME/CFS treatment, there might be some lines in the following. The tone is fairly chatty rather than scientific, as that is what is appropriate to the channel I'm working in. Feel free to argue with what I have written.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 6:50 AM
    Ash, shak8, Trish and 3 others like this.
  8. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe about a year ago someone in my group, a recovered covid long hauler asked me about this. She was very interested in Chinese medicine and recently started learning massage as a hobbi (maybe she even said she had found massage helpful, I don't remember now). She asked me if she could offer her massage service to pwME in my group, to practice on them, with the intent to also help. I thought maybe some people might find it pleasant but I still declined. She had said many things before that really rubbed me the wrong way, I also had no way to tell if she was actually trying to build her future clientele and the most important of all: I really didn't think experimenting with or practicing unevidenced treatments on often very desperate pwME was a good idea, so I said no. Reading some of these comments tells me it wasn't a bad call.

Ash, shak8, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.
  9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A major factor behind the rise in traditional Chinese Medicine published research studies is:

that the current Chinese government has been actively promoting TCM (see any internet search) to boost their goal of political nationalism, to highlight Chinese civilization for their political agenda.

I think this is an important underlying fact to consider, given the rising number of TCM studies with sophisticated clinical statistical methods.

TCM falls into the "hands-on" approach which is loaded with placebo response, due to such things as the warmth or attractiveness of the practitioner, the belief in the efficacy of a particular TCM therapy or the belief one has in an individual practitioner's skill.

I lived through the 1960s during the hippie, back-to-nature, the embrace of Eastern religions and culture, the rise in the US of alternative, integrative medicine.

I studied the local Native American tribe and noted their cure for illness (the 'sucking doctor' who uses her mouth directly on body parts to apply suction as a cure for medical illness).

The likelihood of any of these TCM practices (other than herbs which may or may not have been fully studied) to have a meaningful clinical effect on a serious medical malady is close to nil.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 5:11 PM
    EzzieD, oldtimer, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey, maybe they discovered the first true perpetual motion mechanism. Don't dismiss this out of hand!

A > B > C but C > A which means that mathematically you get a mutually interacting quantum field of motion so that the universe must respect the expected symbols and the expectations behind it and produce motion from it.

Damn, pseudoscience is really easy stuff. You just basically say whatever and pretend like it's profound. I guess the secret is that you need an audience that nods in agreement and will throw money at you to keep going. Yeah that's definitely the secret sauce here, and why evidence-based medicine is so damn popular: you can say whatever and it literally doesn't matter as long as your audience wants it to be true.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 6:15 PM
    shak8, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

EzzieD, shak8, Hutan and 2 others like this.