1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The European Association of Psychosomatic Medicine (EAPM)

Discussion in 'Organisations relevant to ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some titles from the program of this year's EAPM conference in Wien earlier this month:

Sharpe: "Biopsychosocial medicine: the EAPM mission"

Panel discussion: Functional somatic disorders - a new common classification for persistent somatic symptoms

New Challenges in somatic symptom and related disorders

Treatment of functional disorders

Long COVID

Bodily Distress Syndrome

Psychoneuroimmunology

Psychodiabetology

Psycho-Oncology

Psycho--Cardiology

https://www.eapm2022.com/mainprogramme/

Lou B Lou likes this.
  2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nah it's only 'believeable' to them because it backs up what they want to claim. If he was to be saying the opposite not sure they'd be changing their tune on what they think of long covid and having it at their conference.

the bit I am intrigued by (wondering how long he knew these people, as he was in the loop with some linked via the circuit) is did they reply to Garner's earlier tweets disagreeing with him in the early days when he was saying 'oh no I've got ME' and if not why not?

3. bobbler

Ha ha - it's all a bit 'League of Gentlemen' (BBC TV show from a while back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_League_of_Gentlemen where the same few actors played all the characters) with this group anyway

4. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watching the first 45 seconds makes me want to throw up. Not very helpful or scientific, but, just a statement of fact from where I am sitting right now, on the sofa, wishing I was well enough that I could do military fitness, have a scuba diving holiday and that it was as simple as thinking myself better.

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Comments are not increasing my desire to watch it, something I very rarely do with video anyway.

6. bobbler

imagine getting to do all of those things, and no payback that means you spend most of the holiday in bed (even if mild) or it causes a relapse to an even lower level of function.

That's what is so sickening about what they put out. Many can try and do these things - but they get an unfair level of pain and health decline in return. We all find it so sad because we wish to be doing it all but now doing so would rule out chances of ever doing it in future. Where's the admiration when we manage it despite and pay the price but had our dream? or for having the self-discipline to forgo it just so we don't become more dependent?

Yet they pretend not only does that pain not exist (many are ex-athletes with that same mindset and wish - not that Garner appears to be that) but what we need is inspiring (exact OPPOSITE). I'm bored of people who didn't like PE taking up running in their 40s lording it over ME patients. Not knowing how damn good we are to be outputting what we are given if you just took out % disability it would be so much less (you realise how much norms waste their energy they are lucky to have)

Id love it if ME charities could yearly distribute as heavily as they can (ideally in the press) the workwell paper on how we are not unfit

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our son, mid 30s, fit, fully vaccinated, got very poorly with Covid 19 back in March. Was extremely poorly for a couple of weeks or so, and then extremely fatigued, exhausted, ME/CFS-like for weeks and weeks after, but thankfully with a slow but steady improvement since then. Not yet back to normal, but well on the way there. Was this due to mind over matter? No, it bl****y wasn't. It was down to seriously pacing himself, with lots of advice to do that (including from his GP I'm very pleased to say), and with his work being very supportive. But of course as he improves, the pacing strategy means he can carefully do more and more.

People do get better thankfully, and if you do get better it does not mean it happened because you simply thought yourself better, even if there was a point at which your thinking switched into that mode; your thinking may well have switched in response to your body's improvement having got to such a point.

Hutan, BurnA, Mithriel and 18 others like this.
  8. Tony

Tony Established Member

Psycho-psychs

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Psycho-tyranny.

10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Happening this week -- such a pity that it seems we don't have any allies who could be in attendance to offer some fact-checking:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2023
    Trish, Hutan, Lou B Lou and 2 others like this.