1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guardian's Science Weekly podcast - 2 November 2018 - What role should the public play in science?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sarah, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    So, for a person with an illness of ambiguous status such as CFS, the choice is between
    being given a diagnosis of a bona-fide medical condition which everyone regards as real, an
    adequate reason to be away from work, a reason to seek medical care and a blameless
    affliction or a psychiatric diagnosis which many people regard as imaginary brought on by
    yourself, evidence of laziness rather than illness and not really deserving of any particular
    sort of care.

The rational person would arguably make the obvious choice. Furthermore if
    that person felt that the medical establishment had got it wrong, and indeed had got it wrong
    not by mistake but by virtue of a conspiracy to prevent his/her illness being regarded as
    legitimate, one might become politically active and make a big fuss. This seems to be what
    has happened (Walker, 2003).

From the perspective of the patient advocate, this issue is not a mere intellectual
    diversion but a serious battle. And, given the aforementioned considerations, perhaps an
    understandable battle. The territory being fought over is the very legitimacy of the
    illness. "

June 2005
    Michael Sharpe
    https://www.researchgate.net/public..._fatigue_syndrome_Controversies_and_conflicts

“Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

“If an offense come out of the truth, better is it that the offense come than that the truth be concealed.”
    ― Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Amw66, Hutan, Sean and 8 others like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

This is disgusting. As a psychiatrist, MS should be fighting for psychiatric diagnosis to be socially recognised as genuine, instead of implying we are trying to get underserved care.

sb4, rvallee, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure he'd think of himself as doing that, ignoring the way that his treatment of ME/CFS patients raising concerns about things like PACE helps to stigmatise MH patients and presents them as undeserving of honest discussion and debate.

Sean, sb4, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think there is a need to avoid jumping to conclusions here. He says that psychiatric diagnosis is one "which many people regard as imaginary...etc". He is merely describing public perception, and, as a description, this is no doubt accurate.

It is strange how "dysfunctional cognitions" and "maladaptive behaviours", those reasons for CBT and GET have wholly disappeared from the description, just as the first steps towards the Pace Trial, to justify them, were being taken.

Amw66, Sean, sb4 and 7 others like this.
  6. Cheshire

Yes, but it's the usual tactic, they keep repeating the prejudices around psychiatry saying "some people say...", but I've never seen any of the BPS crowd fighting these prejudices, but spreading them without criticising them. That's like Wessely saying that some doctors dislike us, without condemning this dislike, or White and the underserving sick.

Hutan, Lucibee, TiredSam and 8 others like this.
  7. Esther12

It was Sharpe who used the 'undeserving sick' quote, and there was an implied criticism of it. I think that they do talk about the need to challenge these prejudices, but then they continue to try to use them to dismiss patients raising concerns about things like PACE. Actions matter more than words.

8. Cheshire

My bad...

I'm not sure they try. I remember Wessely (Well, I think it was Wessely) saying that we just refused to accept the stigma associated with mental health as if it should be something to be accepted.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(Note this and excerpt in previous post is from 2005)
    Sharpe does go on to say:
    "
    At present however if one has an ambiguous condition the rational choice may well be to
    vote ‘‘medical’’ rather than to vote ‘‘psychiatric’’.
    From this view point one may argue that it is not the views of those advocates who attempt to defend CFS from psychiatric territory which must change, but us who must change in the way we currently conceptualize illness.
    So whilst the issue of relationship between CFS and psychiatric disorder may seem to be
    merely a small issue, it does, in fact, raise issues which challenge the way we see the larger
    perspective of modern medical thought and practice."

The whole thing is to push the 'mind/body' thing; it has got nothing to do with CFS per se.
    And they succeeded.

They created this illusion that it was/is all about the stigma of mental illness.

(I should have made this clearer in my earlier post).

10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The error is they chose to push a pseudoscientific ideology, rather than actually spend the billions characterising the reality of the hypothesised mind-body connection and developing an deep understanding of these illnesses.

MEMarge, Sean and rvallee like this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Talking about the "rational choice" being to choose physical instead of psychiatric is another of those sleight of hand distractions. It makes sense to the reader but it has nothing to do with patients with ME (or CFS).

He says " if one has an ambiguous condition". This is just a hypothetical situation which the reader interprets from context as being about people with ME, but it is not a description of our situation at all!

We would be happy with a psychiatric diagnosis IF IT LED TO GETTING WELL AGAIN!!!

Our objection has nothing to do with physical/ psychiatric choices, it is because of experience and scientific research evidence.

MEMarge, Barry, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  12. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone else heard back from The Guardian about this?

I had an email in mid December to say they were looking into it, but not heard anything since.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  13. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Guardian have now issued an update: https://www.theguardian.com/science...public-play-in-science-science-weekly-podcast

inox, andypants, JaneL and 13 others like this.
  14. Esther12

How do they think that justifies their BS?

If that was the intention, shouldn't some of the public critics of this work have been allowed to speak?

Did anyone who complained get any sort of response?

The Guardian is just the worst.

inox, andypants, sb4 and 14 others like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

I'm fairly confident the Daily Mail is Just The Worst™. :wtf:

ladycatlover, MEMarge and Gecko like this.
  16. Esther12

Not on ME/CFS issues (which is just about all I feel able to make an informed judgement on nowadays). That the Guardian manages to combine their ignorant bigotry with a smug sense of self-righteousness makes them all the more unbearable.

EzzieD, Sean, Robert 1973 and 10 others like this.
  17. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Daily Mail article following the Reuters hit piece was actually better than the original Kelland article. It had fewer gross inaccuracies anyway, and was a bit less egregiously biased.

Which says a lot, since it was still pretty bad.

18. Snow Leopard

I've seen a lot more terrible Daily Mail articles on ME over the last 10 years than I have in the Guardian...

19. Esther12

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, this. How can it be a conversation about the role of the public in science when it only airs the personal grievances of influential academics (and a celebrity-physician) who are deliberately obstructing the role of the public in science, up to and including the very population they allege to serve, and does not involve a counter perspective, especially from "the public"?

I guess they kind of answered their question. And we're not even talking about "the public" in general here, we are talking about a specific population whose role has essentially been erased by institutions despite being subject to systemic malpractice and a complete failure of duty of care in medicine. Apparently the stakeholders of medical guidelines should also play no role in science, according to Sharpe's personal grievances, a perspective presented uncritically.

If anything, the message is that if stakeholders want to play a role in countering harmful advice, enacted in full awareness of numerous complaints, then they will be attacked as unhinged militants by those who are causing harm and grief as long as institutions side against legitimate complaints and reliable evidence that contradicts a political agenda.

Massive, massive failure from the Guardian. Could hardly have been more contemptuous of the role of "the public" in science with a literal GFY.

EzzieD, Skycloud, andypants and 4 others like this.