1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The IAPT Pathway for People with Long-term Physical Health Conditions and MUS. Full implementation guidance.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Nov 28, 2018.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precisely & that's the part that makes the CBT bit (that will for us be aimed at 'assisting' patients to discover that your above statement about harm is nothing more than an 'unhelpful belief'), so sinister.

I don't know how to fight it, it's Goliath, ridding a juggernaut.
    And i really do think that the whole 'NICE new guideline' thing is a stitch up now. I don't think it was done to address our (ie patients,knowledgeable scientists/advocates Tuller et al) concerns at all, but to enable the steering of us all towards MUS - hence the Burton appointment - whilst providing a handy "we looked into it" get out, to silence/discredit us with. Same with Cochrane.

:(

I hope i live to see the Panorama/Dispatches programmes which will eventually ensue, but i don't suppose i will.

alktipping, Woolie, Inara and 8 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See also this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/pps-n...persistent-physical-symptoms-02-10-2018.6732/

for ppl with "Persistant Physical symptoms"
    So MUS or LTPHC (Long-term Physical Health conditions).

Although it would appear that now in IAPT and CAHMs CFS and ME/CFS respectively are now being 'classified' as 'mental health conditions'.

Why was Julia Newton involved; is this now being endorsed by AfME?

Also another question for NICE, the NHS and the Health Minister:

Why do we (the patients) have to wait until 2020 having followed due process and allowed all the evidence to be considered to get any alterations to the current guidelines, AND YET
    a group of people (allegedly not involved with the NICE guidelines) can bypass the whole system and change the classification of an illness ?

This is not only making a complete mockery of the whole NICE guidelines process but, given the controversy about the treatments being prescribed (one of the main reasons for the review in the first place), is actually compounding the problem.

Add to this the effective 'silencing' of key advocates in order to abide with the NICE regulations.
    Are we now moving into Human Rights territory?

eta:
    https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/human-rights-health-and-social-care

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was reading Margaret Williams article about the withdrawal of the case for Judicial Review after the last round of nonsense. It reminded me of the NICE threats against the solicitors involved to apply for a "wasted costs" order. This prevented a proper hearing of the substantive issues. One wonders about the potential wasted costs if the new review were to make redundant all of these processes that have been put in place. Could it be allowed to happen?

alktipping, ukxmrv, Inara and 5 others like this.
  4. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This was my belief in 2005 and 2006 regarding NICE, and it was the reason I did not engage with it, ie the NICE process (it was already well covered by good people) I remained a passive observer - It was my view in 2017 that history was repeating itself and that NICE (DoH Government Royal Colleges SMC etc) all had a hidden agenda.
    I believe they changed the decision to review due to the possibility that they would get a substantive challenge, legal or other which may have been successful. (They told me they did not have an in house legal department- so who advises them- the Government solicitors... (who I know to my personal cost are ruthless in any JR case)..... so did Kev and Doug in 2009?)

What we are seeing IS history repeating itself and JemPD you are spot on in your view IMHO!

What people may wish to consider is how to influence their CCGS on cost effectiveness and other clear matters so the CCGs will pick and choose what suits( and disregard NICE due to local needs) and steer a better path aligned to local patient need and patient voices. That's what's happened here on our patch.........

alktipping, Inara, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Hutan, Inara, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Should be. It shows a predetermined view of the outcome of the process before hearing of the evidence which might be adduced.

7. Sly Saint

I like the way she says 'MUS term a bit outdated'!
    What would she prefer? MUPS, PPS, BDS.........or any of the other bogus names?

Not even slightly concerned about the inclusion of the additional 'mental health disorders'(?)
    speaks volumes.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is 100% an issue of branding. Same as adding the "bio" to psychosocial without changing anything to the substance.

They know they have no evidence and are playing PR and politics. They just want to believe so bad in the MAGICAL POWER OF THE MIND, cue thunder and lightning, with birds flying away in the distance.

alktipping, Arnie Pye, Atle and 7 others like this.
  9. Valerie Eliot Smith

Valerie Eliot Smith Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the heads-up message, @Sly Saint. Sorry I didn't reply earlier but last week was a particularly difficult time and I'm just catching up now.

It's always problematic trying to respond to questions/discussion points on legal issues because there are no clear-cut answers and each individual point raised usually merits a lengthy response. The honest answer to pretty much all legal questions is "it depends.....". I've found from previous experience that trying to explain things usually ends up getting into extended and complicated discussions which leave everyone more confused (including me!).

That said, I'm always happy to help if I can on specific points. Human rights (mentioned above) are an integral in every aspect of life. Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights would be the most likely vehicle for ME patients (right to private and family life which broadly includes the right to appropriate healthcare). There are other possibilities but Article 8 is the most relevant. However, launching a legal action is an expensive and lengthy business and always needs expert professional advice first. In the context of the NICE review, it would most likely arise as part of a (hypothetical) judicial review. Such an action would also need to avoid the mistakes of the last JR attempt ten years ago.

Of course the fundamental rights of the ME community are being breached all the time but, in the current climate, it would be difficult to prove that, either as a stand-alone action (via a declaration from the High Court - which doesn't happen often) or as part of another action such as a medical negligence claim that damage has been caused to ME patients through inappropriate and dangerous treatment recommendations (also very difficult to prove in the current circumstances). Again, external professional advice would be needed as the experience of the ME community is unique and highly complex.

Sorry I haven't addressed other points raised here - but that's for the reasons I've set out above. As I've said repeatedly in my blog and on social media, my view is that we need to consider the overall bigger picture as to WHY the ME community is still so neglected and stigmatised. My view is that it is because of a decades-long complete lack of an overarching strategy specifically designed to address negative perceptions of both ME patients and the illness itself.

That is a very wide remit and would encompass all the major issues, including NICE. I'm trying to muster the energy to do a longer blog post on this but haven't quite got there yet. Hopefully, when I do, it will make more sense than this short thumbnail.

10. rvallee

There was a judicial challenge to the 2007 NICE guidelines that was dismissed on all grounds. Its objections have turned out to be correct, as can be argued by the fact that a review challenge is currently under way, following thousands of objections about their fitness and value. I wonder if that can be a factor in a new challenge, if it's necessary.

Ultimately we have people with a primary experience of a disease telling self-appointed experts with no understanding of this disease (as it is a mystery after all, even by their own admission) that they are wrong about their most basic assumptions, but the benefit of the doubt was given to the researchers by appeal to authority and claiming that they have essentially intuited the answer to a complex problem despite not making any claims as to its mechanism or cause. Ultimately they have nothing but their own assurances that they are correct, since no objective evidence exists to support their ideological framework.

Surely there has to be some weight behind the fact that the objections to the psychosocial model have remained consistent and correct for 3 decades by now. By sheer number this is the personal opinion of a small group of self-proclaimed experts standing against the overwhelming objections of those experiencing it and a supporting group of experts with much more significant claim to expertise, since ME is not classified as a mental health condition and as such psychiatrists and psychologists have no particularly relevant insight, especially over biomedical researchers.

I know judicial principles do not apply here, but the psychosocial researchers' arguments are basically second-hand opinion and hearsay, at best. Equivalent to a stranger somehow arguing they know what happened at an event they were not present and have no reason to have any particularly knowledge of.

There is not much precedent for this kind of situation, of patients overwhelmingly objecting to self-proclaimed experts arguing for a disease model. The only examples that come to mind all ended up confirming the patients' perspective, like with MS and peptic ulcers. It's a bit ridiculous that people can just claim to have intuitive understanding of a disease that is largely a mystery while its patients overwhelmingly condemn them as worse than useless.

Ultimately it all rests on completely invalidating our own perspective, since the preferred model entirely contradicts everything we claim about our own experience. Which comes down to whether we have agency and competence of mind, something that has not been argued and yet is a matter of fact in practice.

alktipping, MEMarge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  11. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We attended the Royal Courts of Justice for the Judicial Challenge, in Feb 2009. Here's a photo of a couple of supporters. Taken just outside the back/side entrance that we had to use to get into the Chamber.

alktipping, MEMarge, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Something I have been becoming increasingly aware of is that there is a large number of people with ME who buy in to the vague BPS models of central sensitisation/dysfunctional beliefs and behaviours. It's understandable, but such a barrier to progress.

Actually the preferred model is so vague and all encompassing and linked to a promise of recovery that it can be very seductive.
    Trauma as a child?
    Recent trauma or loss? Stressed about anything else?
    Were you a successful person with many obligations?
    Were you busy? Sporty? High achiever? Under achiever?
    Were you feeling unfulfilled, or stymied in your career?
    Are you feeling negative about your prospects for the future?
    "We'll help you sort out any of that that applies and then you can move on to wellness."

13. Sly Saint

Thanks for the reply. Look forward to reading your blog post on this issue.

eta: are there any organisations that we could potentially approach?
    I have noticed that in the media that HIV (re stigma) has just started getting more coverage.

alktipping, Inara and MEMarge like this.
  14. Valerie Eliot Smith

Valerie Eliot Smith Established Member (Voting Rights)

I have tried approaching other organisations (as have others) but without success.

There are probably two reasons for this: one is that there is a not unreasonable assumption that we already have our own advocacy organisations so why aren't they doing the work; the other reason is, most likely, the highly-developed stigma around the illness and patient community.....

Yes, HIV is back in the media, probably because 1 December is World AIDS day and we have just gone past that date now.

The situation for ME is very different from that of the HIV/AIDS community. The ME community has decades of entrenched stigma and neglect to unravel before it can even start to change the narrative. HIV/AIDS was dramatic, vocal, disruptive and highly effective in its early days and achieved recognition that the ME community can still only dream of. The histories are completely different and the utility of the HIV community as a comparator is very limited.

alktipping, EzzieD, Inara and 12 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

IAPT and Rudolph

http://www.cbtwatch.com/iapt-and-rudolph/

16. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30008263

Does anyone have access to the full paper?

alktipping, Trish and Esther12 like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DigitalDrifter and alktipping like this.
  18. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's the definition of recovery? There needs to be a consensus in medicine about the terms recovery, improvement and remission. Use cancer definitions.

19. rvallee

PACE set that standard at the physical function of an average 80 year-old. It is published and accepted research, meaning this is an accepted standard as far as UK medical institutions are concerned, judging by their full-throated defense of it as "good, solid science", and "a thing of beauty".

Easy-peasy: almost nobody is sick anymore, we just redefine being as neither dead nor in a coma. Problem solved! Budget cut in half, it's just a modest proposal.

20. Sly Saint