Review The Impact of Fatigue on Sexual Function in People with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome : A Scoping Review, 2024, Romero Riego

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Romero Riego, L. (2024). The Impact of Fatigue on Sexual Function in People with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A Scoping Review. Journal of Couple & Relationship Therapy, 1–25. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332691.2024.2377608

Abstract

Sexual health difficulties have been associated with frequent effects of various chronic conditions and their symptoms, including fatigue.

How these difficulties can be influenced by Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a currently under researched area.

This scoping review was conducted using multiple databases to search for any existing literature that examined sexual function and ME/CFS.

Out of 380 identified studies, 8 of them meet the eligibility criteria for inclusion.

Studies are scarce and further research is needed to assess the effect that fatigue causes on physical, psychological, and emotional areas of sexual experiences and function in people with ME/CFS.

Keywords: Myalgic encephalomyelitis chronic fatigue syndrome sexual function sexual experiences

Wonko, SNT Gatchaman, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is a bit more than 'fatigue', FFS.

But otherwise, definitely worth doing in principle. Loss of, or major reduction in both quantity and quality of sexual life, and all that entails, is one of the more painful and life-degrading ones.

Wonko, alktipping, horton6 and 8 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree. Fatigue is the least of our worries. Pain, sensory sensitivities especially the less recognised ones of touch and pressure sensitivity, nausea so you feel like you're going to throw up, headache so you don't want to move your head...

4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS is one of the factors that forced me into being alone and celibate. It's good that researchers are recognizing the effect of systemic conditions on sexual health.

Sean, shak8, Wonko and 4 others like this.