Open The Living With a Long-Term Condition Study (LTC), King's College London

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Study Overview

Brief Summary

Psychological distress (anxiety and depression) is common in and experienced differently by people living with long-term health conditions (LTCs). Being able to measure whether psychological distress is related to living with a LTC would allow researchers and clinicians to provide interventions specifically tailored to the challenges of living with a LTC and therefore provide the most appropriate support for these patients. Such a measure would also be useful in research to identify the presence of illness-related distress in different patient groups. This project will therefore create a new measure of illness-related distress that has applications for both research and clinical practice. This will involve the psychometric validation of the new illness-related distress measure to test how valid and reliable the measure is.

The aim of the project is to provide initial validation of the Illness Related Distress Scale in a community sample, recruited through online platforms. The objective of the study is to gather initial validity and reliability data for the scale.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT06072287

DokaGirl likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

[swearing deleted] Another questionnaire? Haven't we suffered enough?

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

And on a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate that suffering???? ;)

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

5. Trish

As I guessed, it looks like a PhD project. The contact person has an MSc, and the groupies include Rona Moss-Morris as lead groupie, aka Principal Investigator.

6. Trish

10. I have just done the survey.

I confess I gave a false name and the phone number of a pest control company.

It's all the usual blah blah with questions they can twist to suit their prejudices.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anti-depressants?

Edit : Just in case it wasn't obvious my reply was intended to be sarcastic.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

9. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl::laugh::p

Good one @Trish!

10. Trish

I have now been sent the second stage survey. I have filled it in simply because I wanted to make a note of the questions, which I forgot to do first time around. Here it is:

7. Living with a long-term condition
    It is normal to feel a range of emotions when living with a long-term physical health condition (LTC) or conditions (LTCs) (e.g. diabetes, heart conditions, respiratory conditions).
    We are interested in how your long-term health condition(s) affects you. If you have multiple LTCs, you can answer based on the condition that impacts you most, or you can consider all your LTCs together if they have equal impact for you.
    We would like to know how you have been feeling about your LTC in the past two weeks.

[​IMG]
    Never, rarely, sometimes, often, always

Finding aspects of my life with my LTC(s) distressing - eg symptoms, treatments, medical appointments, treatment side effects etc.

Able to live the life I want alongside my LTC

Feeling upset that my LTC prevents me doing things that are important to me

Feeling like I can cope emotionally with the challenges that my LTC brings

Feeling less confident in myself because of my LTC

Feeling angry or frustrated because of my LTC

Finding it difficult to accept my LTC

Feeling in control of my life

Feeling overwhelmed by my LTC eg symptoms, treatments, medical appointments, treatment side effects etc.

Feeling sad, down and/or hopeless because of my LTC

Feeling positive eg happy, excited, content despite my LTC

Feeling unhappy about aspects of how my body looks because of my LTC

Feeling nervous, anxious and/or worried because of my LTC

Finding it hard to think about anything other than my LTC

Worrying about how my LTC will progress in the future

Worrying about what my future will look like with my LTC

Feeling upset about aspects of how my body works because of my LTC

Feeling embarrassed and/or ashamed about my LTC and/or symptoms

Blaming myself for my LTC and/or symptoms

Feeling like a burden because of my LTC

Feeling lonely because of my LTC

Worrying about what other people think of me because of my LTC

Feeling there are people I can turn to for support

Finding it difficult to talk about my LTC

Worrying that I talk too much about my LTC

Feeling that no one understands my LTC

Feeling upset about how my LTC impacts some of my relationships egwith partner, family, friends

Feeling upset about how my LTC impacts my relationship with my culture/faith

We are aware that many people live with distress related to issues other than their LTCs. In addition to your answers on the previous page, please can you rate how much you feel your current distress is related to your LTC only (right-hand side) or to other life problems (left-hand side). If you feel distressed by both your LTC and other life problems, you can place the slider near the middle.

If you do not currently feel distressed, you can select the “not applicable” box below.

alktipping, bobbler, Sean and 3 others like this.
  11. Trish

My response to this questionniare is that if you weren't feeling miserable about your life with a long term condition at the start of the survey, you are likely to by the end with all those negative emotions being asked about, and the few positive ones being out of reach not because of feeling negative, but because they are mostly about being able to live the life you want.

Take this pair of questions:

Feeling upset that my LTC prevents me doing things that are important to me
    Feeling positive eg happy, excited, content despite my LTC

My life at the moment is fairly stable with no great upsets, so I would want to answer the first one that of course it's frustrating not being able to do simple things I'd like to do, but I find other things to do which are OK too.
    But there's no way I would describe myself as happy, excited or content - again, who would be when you feel physically crap all the time and have to spend most of your life in bed, and are currently bashing your head against the brick wall that is Cochrane, thanks to the likes of the people doing this stupid questionnaire?

They are all leading questions. Why not just ask people to say for themselves what aspects of their LTC make their lives easier or more difficult and what emotions they feel. Oh, but of course that would require them to actually listen to people rather than just bunging box ticking questionnaires in a computer program and stats package and writing it up to get a doctorate as if it means something.

And another thing. What damn business is it of theirs what emotions I have about my disease. Unless I specifically ask for help with emotions I'm finding hard to deal with, what i feel is none of their damn business. If someone medical shoved this in front of me I would refuse to fill it in.

alktipping, bobbler, ItsMERJD and 9 others like this.
  12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The questions in post #10 have definite hints of being written by someone who thinks the lightning process is wonderful.

alktipping, bobbler, Sean and 4 others like this.
  13. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure more CBT/ACT/another therapy they can make money from will help all those LTCs!

Thanks for using your time and energy to enable the rest of us to see the questions.

14. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But, Have you stopped beating your wife?

It's as if the people behind this school of thought saw logical fallacies as a guide. But they are enabled and beloved for it so the blame for this is far wider.

alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also: I would never complete a questionnaire like this. It's so obviously loaded to achieve an outcome and I'm sure this is a common sentiment, so they are basically getting the equivalent of an astrology questionnaire in an astrology magazine, which is obviously more likely to be filled by people who think astrology is great and powerful.

It's really sad how they are so willing to get the answers they want that they're willing to trash the credibility of an entire profession. Even more bizarre is that this profession absolutely loves it. I don't get it.

MEMarge, alktipping, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  16. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So naughty,…..

effectively no one who is NOT distressed can report it or be counted.

it gets turned into ‘not applicable’ so they tick it meaning not distressed (as the survey dictates) but then later it gets inferred to mean something different?

I’d hope we remember to red flag whether they provide the raw numbers on the ‘not applicable’ assuming this means ‘not distressed’ in their chart of results etc when they do report?

Sean, alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  17. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is actually research papers confirming what you suggest in your first para. I remember finding it when I looked for examples relating to a paper over a year ago but can’t remember the terms I used where loads came up. Too exhausted to manage to have ever found them again though annoyingly

Something like repetition of specific questions affects answers, and other papers noting it can influence mood or answers given ie training people into different answers. Or using long surveys to change peoples thinking etc

st distressed to get the worst scores from the most ill

Trish and alktipping like this.
  18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't they just ask them?

MEMarge, Sean, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, in effect they are doing that, but clearly the magic happens when a 'very clever person clearly worth their funding' assigns numbers to particular answers, because they then can declare that they can 'accurately' measure the level of distress to each person.

MEMarge, Sean, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

found it being 'advertised' charity website (PAPAA-The Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Alliance)

upload_2023-12-1_11-12-2.jpeg
    https://www.papaa.org/news/current-features/recruits-needed/

MEMarge likes this.