1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open The ME-SH (ME in Stockholm-Harvard) Study: Structural Problems in Brainstem and Cervical Spine Cord in (ME/CFS) - a case control study 2021 Bragee

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by John Mac, Mar 4, 2021.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Full title:
    The ME-SH (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis in Stockholm-Harvard) Study: Structural Problems in Brainstem and Cervical Spine Cord in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(ME/CFS) - a Case-control Study

Not yet recruiting

https://www.medifind.com/conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/1135/clinical-trial/224113596

Grigor, cfsandmore, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

100 people, ME/CFS and controls to be recruited starting next month. The end date is 5 years away, so that's 10 patients and 10 controls per year.

If it's just done at one clinic that is now well known among pwME as focusing on neck/spinal problems, how will they be able to tell if it's a self selecting sample of pwME who have neurogical signs that might suggest neck obstruction, so get a skewed sample?

I understand the aim is to determine prevalence of neck obstructions in people with ME/CFS, so that should be done, as any epidemiological study, with a representative sample selected from a population with ME/CFS of all severities.

@Bjorn Bragee, can you help me understand this better, please? How will the sampling procedure be done?

Leila, Anna H, Sean and 12 others like this.
  3. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anna H, Helene and Andy like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The site says that recruitment will be based on non-probability sampling. That seems to mean that it will not be a random or representative sample. The net says: nonprobability samples cannot depend upon the rationale of probability theory

That seems to mean that no conclusions can be drawn about the probability that the findings are representative of ME/CFS. In other words, it seems, they are not likely to tell us much?

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

mango and Leila like this.
  6. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)