The Netherlands ME/CFS Cohort and Biobank (NMCB) consortium

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice. Still a bit sceptical about Raaijmakers being involved in one of the 6 projects with his links to COFFI, but his program looks good on first glance. Let's hope the entire thing yields some results.

Amw66, MEMarge, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Solstice

Grigor likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Recording of their Symposium from 21st Jan.

Presentations:
    ME/CFS in Perspective | Professor Jonas Bergquist
    UK ME/CFS Biobank: A Resource for International Research | Eliana Mattos Lacerda and Caroline Kingdon
    The Netherlands ME/CFS Cohort and Biobank Consortium | Jos Bosch
    Establishing a state-of-the-art biobank | Jörg Hamann NMCB

Subprojects:
    A Biomedical Investigation of ME/CFS and PAIS | Ruud PH Raijmakers
    EnergiseME | Niels Eijkelkamp
    AutonoME | Jeroen den Dunnen
    IMMUNESTRATIFY | Marjan Versnel
    Brain changes in ME/CFS | Inge Huitinga
    MuscleME | Rob Wüst

Patient Perspective | Laura de Vries

Amw66, Dolphin and Trish like this.
  6. Dolphin

Video is now private for some reason.

7. Dolphin

Google-translation from Dutch to English,

https://herseninstituut-nl.translat...syndroom/?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en

Dutch Brain Bank starts brain donor program for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

Dutch Brain Bank starts brain donor program for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome

May 22, 2024

The Dutch Brain Bank is starting a brain donor program for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) to make brain tissue available for research into ME/CFS.

ME/CFS is a chronic disease in which people become severely fatigued and do not recover from this. In fact, a relatively small effort only makes the complaints worse. The cause is unknown and the diagnosis of ME/CFS is complicated: there is no clear test to determine that someone has ME/CFS. Patients can therefore suffer from complaints for a long time, without an answer to what is wrong with them.

These complaints also include neurological symptoms, including dizziness, sudden drowsiness, memory and concentration problems. It is therefore very important to be able to look at the brain tissue of people with ME/CFS to see whether changes have occurred. This is currently not possible: there is simply no brain tissue from people with ME/CFS available for research worldwide. The Dutch Brain Bank wants to change that.

Dutch ME/CFS Cohort and Biobank Consortium
    Thanks to a ZonMW grant, the Dutch ME/CFS Cohort and Biobank consortium ( NMCB ) has started. In this consortium, six projects will focus on biomedical research into ME/CFS. One of these projects is the Dutch Brain Bank for ME/CFS (NHB-ME/CFS): a new donor program specifically for ME/CFS with the aim of collecting brain tissue and making it available to researchers worldwide. That is why the Dutch Brain Bank calls on people with ME/CFS to pay attention to the possibility of registering as a brain donor. Currently, 20 people with ME/CFS are already registered with the Dutch Brain Bank. To make good research possible, there must be a lot more.

ME/CFS brain tissue for scientific research
    Research with human tissue is one of the most effective methods to study and understand disease processes, because changes in cells and molecules become visible in this tissue. In recent years, research techniques have been further developed, allowing better and more accurate zooming in on this tissue.

Identifying what changes and goes wrong brings science one step closer to prevention and recovery. It is crucial to be able to compare the situation of an ME/CFS patient with the normal situation in healthy people. To achieve this, researchers also need access to healthy brain tissue: the 'control tissue' to compare the diseased tissue with. Brain donations from people without brain-related disease are therefore also essential.

Dutch Brain Bank
    The brain tissue of ME/CFS patients and healthy controls is collected by the Dutch Brain Bank (NHB) . This is an internationally renowned, professional Brain Bank that provides well-characterized and documented brain tissue to researchers. The average time between death and brain removal is 6.5 hours. This is very short, making the tissue of high quality for research. Researchers all over the world therefore request tissue from the NHB for their research projects.

Brain donors register while alive for the use of their brain and medical data. Every year, the NHB registers around 200-300 new donors with and without various brain-related conditions. The NHB performs up to 150 brain autopsies per year and supplies approximately 6,000 pieces of tissue to more than 100 research projects.

Become a brain donor
    More information about NHB-ME/CVS can be found here ( https://www.hersenbank.nl/nhb-mecvs/ ). Are you considering becoming a brain donor? You can request an information package with a registration form via this page ( www.hersenbank.nl/hersendonatie/registreren ). You will also find answers to some frequently asked questions here. If you have any other questions, you can always contact us. This can be done by emailing info@hersenbank.nl , or by calling 020 566 5499. On working days we have daily consultation hours from 9:30 am to 11:30 am. Outside office hours you can leave a voicemail message and we will call you back as soon as possible.

The Netherlands Brain Bank is part of the Netherlands Brain Institute , an institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). The brain research into ME/CFS is also part of the Dutch ME/CFS Cohort and Biobank consortium (NMCB; https://nmcb.eu/)

Last edited: May 22, 2024
    Amw66, Sean, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  8. Solstice

Not using it, so why not :D .

On a more serious note, I will fill in the forms tomorrow. I'm not planning to die anytime soon, but if I do I'd want my body to be used to help science.

bobbler, rvallee, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Copied from News from The Netherlands.

ME Research UK

News from The Netherlands - the ME/CFS Cohort and Biobank consortium (NMCB) has begun and eventually 6 projects will focus on biomedical research into ME/CFS. One of these is The Netherlands Brain Bank for ME/CFS (NHB-ME/CFS) which aims to collect brain tissue and make samples available to researchers worldwide.

Currently, 20 people with ME/CFS are already registered with The Netherlands Brain Bank and a call within The Netherlands has been made for more donors. https://tinyurl.com/y8h86bsj

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2024