The Psychologist: "Does psychology face an exaggeration crisis?", article by Brian Hughes

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Dec 22, 2018.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did use that term, although I think I was referring specifically to the constant peer-reviewing of each other. but it certainly applies in the larger context of the way things are structured to constantly reinforce, in their collective understanding, how great this research is.

2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We get the point.

:whistle:

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My feeling about Kaiser Permanente (from being an RN and a later a member of Kaiser) is that they will espouse anything that saves them money and puts the burden of getting better onto the patient.

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Marketing and Money. Seems that's what a lot of hype comes down to.

Perhaps the amount of hype in psych could be measured and compared to other fields.

Every time a press release announces a new drug, or other treatment, there seems to be a certain amount of hype, including when this treatment will be available. Ask your doctor for it. They will tell you this new wonder drug will not be available for years.

Maybe psychology has more hype than other fields. I don't know. It's not a hard science. Could exaggeration be psychologists overcompensating?

Unfortunately, we accept a lot of poor
    science in other studies. After the horrendous earthquake and tsunami in Japan a few years ago, it came out that earthquake scientists were basing their current study on a faulty, 40 year old study. Maybe a replication crisis in that field of study too?

So, after reading much about the harm, hype and horrendous treatment of pwME from the helping profession, what to do with those vintage psych textbooks?

I find they come in handy to rip up for mixed media art collages.

5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We should eliminate vaccines in this case.

shak8, Invisible Woman, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re the Kaiser chart -they think we're stupid.

shak8 and ladycatlover like this.
  7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We hear from NPR this morning that gratitude is "one of the practices that really wins out from the field of positive psychology".

NPR Morning Edition: "If You Feel Thankful, Write It Down. It's Good For Your Health"
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ankful-write-it-down-its-good-for-your-health
    Be happy, but don't practice too much gratitude because that's a bad thing.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that gratitude for the bread and circuses? If we're lucky, that is.

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I mis-read that as

That's why gratitude features heavily in Santa's happiness class :emoji_santa:

Of course that had to come - practising gratitude is good for you, and if it isn't, you're doing it wrong, ie too much, or too little, or in the wrong circumstances. What we need are trained therapists who can show us how to do it properly, armed with a leaflet about Getset Julie's cousin, Gratitude Gladys.

Inara, Barry, Gecko and 12 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:whistle:
    (Although perhaps things would have been worse if all those people weren't being grateful for the turkey.)

12. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Finding some cute little things to be grateful for, sure. Takes about a minute out of your day. How on earth does that spillover, have an effect on pain and fatigue. Common sense, people! Might as well say: don't stub your toe if you help it or bang your elbow. I'll shut it up now...

I hate Kaiser's petit petit bourgeois idiotic so-called health practices. Talking to one of their docs is like talking to a tire. Or tyre.

Invisible Woman and Trish like this.