The risk of Long Covid developing from Covid-19 re-infections

Discussion in 'Possible causes and predisposing factor discussion' started by Hutan, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm wanting a good reference about the risk of Long Covid in subsequent infections. I couldn't find one immediately although I think we have seen a couple of papers on that topic.

If I find them, I'll post them here. But if you put your finger on them immediately, please do let me know.

Of course, the possibility of people developing an ME/CFS-type illness after subsequent infections is pretty consequential. It means that it's not just a relatively small number of susceptible people who will come down with an ME/CFS-type illness and everyone else will be fine. Instead, perhaps there will be an increasing proportion of the population that have the illness.

It also perhaps tells us something about the risk factors for developing an ME/CFS-type illness. Perhaps genes are not everything; perhaps environmental factors and chance are important.

2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quickly, I have —

Acute and postacute sequelae associated with SARS-CoV-2 reinfection (2022, Nature Medicine)

Predictive Factors and ACE-2 Gene Polymorphisms in Susceptibility to Long COVID-19 Syndrome (2023, International Journal of Molecular Sciences)

“The burden of post-acute COVID-19 symptoms in a multinational network cohort analysis” (2023, Nature Communications)

Risk of New-Onset Long COVID Following Reinfection With Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2: A Community-Based Cohort Study (2023, Open Forum Infectious Diseases)

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic, thank you