1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Times: "The Sleeping Beauties by Suzanne O’Sullivan review — how the human mind can make us sick" by Tom Whipple, 2021

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Jonathan Edwards, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well Paul Garner seemed to claim that his being wimpish and following the advice of ME losers made him go on being fatigued. But of course at the time he was not aware of that!

Ash, FMMM1, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My focal epilepsy can create sensations that are never felt otherwise and do not obey the usual rules of what I'm normally supposed to be able to perceive. It is very much like a dream in that aspect.

Ash, FMMM1, Snowdrop and 5 others like this.
  3. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, the last point you make here is the most important point. It is possible but we don't have the evidence. We just don't know and we have to be ok with not knowing. The body (including the brain) is incredibly complex. A few years ago we would have thought it impossible that the gut microbiome could have an effect on mood/immune system yet this seems now to be the case. Unknown interactions between different organs including the brain are possible.

The problem, as I see it, is basing treatments on the psychosomatic model before the evidence is there and simultaneously not listening to patient feedback. History shows that labeling an illness as psychosomatic when there is absolutely no evidence this is true is incredibly risky. If you're going to do so and implement treatments based this, you better 1. Closely monitor and study the efficacy of your treatments, 2. Listen closely to patient experiences. Psychiatrists working on the premise that an illness is psychosomatic should be constantly reviewing and reflecting on their practice and taking into account patient views.

This is what ME psychiatrists have failed to do. They have come up with this model of ME, devised a treatment based on their model, carried out poor quality research and refused to listen to patient experience. I don't blame them for coming up with the hypothesis that ME is psychosomatic. I trust in science and therefore I think that anybody should be able to ask any question so long as they test it properly. I'm fine for people to go ahead and form a hypothetical model of ME based on psychosomatics so long as they then research it well and are humble and professional enough to hold the awareness that it might be wrong. The problem in my mind is not the hypothesis itself but the action of basing treatments on this premise, running substandard studies and refusing to listen to patients who report that your treatments are harming them. I can't fathom the arrogance of somebody who in this position would bulldoze over the patient experience. It seems that in areas like this when there is no objective evidence, patient experience should be at the forefront.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    JemPD, Helene, Shinygleamy and 8 others like this.
  4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe I have misunderstood the meaning of "malingering", but isn't it by definition an act, something you intentionally choose to do? I don't follow, how would that be the mind causing something when the symptoms are fake, simulated? Isn't it just conscious, voluntary behaviour in order to deceive others? In other words, in other people's minds you might seem sick, but you yourself are aware that you're not really sick?

oldtimer, Helene, Shinygleamy and 4 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Exactly, malingering is the mind making someone seem sick (to others).

This is excluded from the usual understanding of psychosomatic but perhaps it is the only real situation where the mind is at least making people get diagnosed with an illness. And various sources suggest that 'resignation syndrome' might some of the time be no more than that.

FMMM1, Helene, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't she just positing "conversion disorder" by another name, with a similar lack of explanation of how it happens?

Ash, Helene, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I note again that this was not a condition exclusively of girls - there's this paper that reported on 46 consecutive cases of Resignation syndrome:
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00787-019-01427-0

(note that that paper was co-written by a doctor who became well-known as a result of her work with the children with resignation syndrome. It was not only the families of the children who benefited. An article followed that particular doctor as she did her work - here are some excerpts from the article:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/04/03/the-trauma-of-facing-deportation
    What is clear from the New Yorker article is that the Resignation Syndrome cases were happening in a very political environment. The cases were used, very vigourously used, to change Sweden's treatment of refugees.

I thought so too, until I picked up an old copy of his book on migraines - I talked about it here:
    ME/CFS SKeptic: A new blog series on the dark history of psychosomatic medicine

Helene, ukxmrv, Shinygleamy and 4 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I think there must be a similar concept of some unconscious phantom consciousness that works out that it wants to have fits. My point is that if its unconscious it isn't phantom or a consciousness but just a brain computing results. She does of course given explanation of how it happens, unlike Freud, in terms of 'predictive coding'. Predictive coding theory is all worked out in computer models by people like Karl Friston. The only problems that these models do not actually predict anything like this. Mark Edwards wrote something about FND being due to predictive coding and his argument was plain back to front.

So these people's theory has the advantage of being demonstrably wrong rather than indeterminate, as for Freud.

FMMM1, Snowdrop, Helene and 6 others like this.
  9. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan that's a fascinating article, thanks for sharing it. Quite different to the one I read last year which I think might have been from the BBC, I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

Helene and Hutan like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Maybe I should look at it. The great majority of reviews are positive and from migraine sufferers. It seems that Sacks does not give an answer but reviews the history? Presumably that has to involve mentioning psychosomatic theories.

FMMM1, Helene and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

When I read it, it was very clear to me that he was supporting psychosomatic causes. I'll see if I can find the book. From memory, he gave examples of people having migraines as a way of giving themselves permission to rest, or avoid things they didn't want to do.

12. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was enjoying Sack's book until I read the section on migraine. He used the example of a woman who developed a migraine every night when her husband was due home but stopped having them when she was divorced (or something like that). He said the migraines were a way of avoiding him but they could just as easily been due to tension and stress.

He then explicitly said that one or two migraines a week were physical disease but more than that were psychosomatic or hysterical.

Helene, Snow Leopard, Tia and 4 others like this.
  13. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that everything we experience is because of the brain. It is a fascinating branch of science with the added awe of a physical organ being able to examine its own workings.

My point is that that is not enough to be the base for a medical diagnosis. In, say, MS it is not enough to say the brain works in mysterious ways, the exact mechanism has been researched. How does the brain interact with bodily systems to cause them to go wrong?

Either all diseases are just the brain interpreting things or other organs can stop working properly such as the bowel or bladder or a right foot. If you state that some diseases are purely interpretations by the brain while others have a separate cause you must present evidence of how you detect the difference and that is missing.

The brain can produce dreams and connections but why and how does it go wrong in some people?

Their position is also dubious and requires an extraordinary level of evidence because so many diseases have been stated with great confidence to be caused by the mind and thoughts only for the physical damage to organs to be discovered later. MEskeptics blog series has collected some fine examples of that and many cases of the 19th century proponents of psychosomatic medicine have been shown to be misinterpretations of physical disease.

These ideas of psychosomatic disease have practical consequences causing suffering for millions of people. They are as insidious as eugenics and racist theories and date from the same time. They are having a terrible effect on society and to see them being rolled out and become entrenched in medical thinking is frightening.

Ash, janice, Helene and 3 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But those sensations/perceptions in dreams are flawed. They are not anything like reality. It is just the brain often doesn't care.
    I regularly wake up from dreams simply because they are not real enough. Last night I woke up after trying to eat pizza in a dream. At the instant of "tasting" it, I knew it was a dream and woke up.

Ash, Mithriel, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think I have ever eaten anything in a dream - it's not something I dream about.

I also can't read in dreams, which isn't to say that I may not get the gist of what something written means, I just can't read, anything. TV is another one, I am aware of being in a room, in a dream, with a TV on, but I can't actually see, or hear, what's on it, even when I try.

The possibility exists that kettles, and other kitchen appliances, may also be among things that don't work in dreams.

The whole things appearing, and disappearing, with no rhyme or reason, the difficulty on focusing on anything which isn't a main point of the storyline etc.

these sorts of things make it easy to tell if something is a dream or not.

Of course, in 'reality' my glasses don't work all that well these days (needed replacing before the pandemic), and I often can't read/understand/process text due to cognitive issues - all make it much more fun.

16. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here’s a book going cheap if you want it

17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seemingly has happened elsewhere too

18. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)