1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thumb support - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by InitialConditions, Apr 24, 2020.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may have to buy one - my right thumb is just driving me mad. Just constantly stiff and swollen at the base of thumb but not arthritis apparently. Anyone use one?

alktipping, DokaGirl and Kitty like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It might be worth looking up de Quervain's tendinitis, which is what my sore, swollen thumb joint turned out to be.

My experience was that splint suitability is quite individual, and you might have to try more than one. I ended up with a hard plastic one that's mainly designed to keep the wrist straight – it somehow seemed to support my thumb better than anything else. A pharmacist may be able to advise if you can't get to your GP. Other treatments that helped were icing the area, and reducing as much as possible any activity involving that joint.

I do feel for you, though, it's infuriating! I hope you manage to find something that works.

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. de Quervains is sort of ruled out I think. The pain is more on the inside of my palm rather than on the upside of my hand/wrist and in fact the pain is not the issue - it's moving it / stiffness.

alktipping, DokaGirl and Kitty like this.