1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 scientific publications in ME/CFS over the last 10 years based on number of citations [Tweet by Dr Mark Gutheridge]

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, Lidia, Lisa108 and 13 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8, Sean, Lisa108 and 10 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think it would be interesting to see if there are any trends in the individual years of that 10 year period, and, like someone else points out on the Twitter thread, how many of those citations for PACE, in particular, are critiques?

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Sean, rvallee, andypants and 6 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for doing that Andy. Very helpful.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, rvallee, Esther12 and 7 others like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As well as the issue of picking out the balance of citations that are critical, as is probable with a significant proportion of the PACE ones, should we be giving studies using the Oxford criteria false creditibilty as referring to them as ME/CFS studies? Surely we should only refer to them as 'chronic fatigue studies mis-categorised as ME/CFS' studies.

8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe the lower number of citations attributed to biological research is just an indication of the relative difficulty of conducting and publishing such research.

Biological research often requires carrying out hundreds, if not thousands, of complex and sensitive experiments that involve cutting edge technology. This may make such studies somewhat more scarce than papers that rely on methods such as jumping on a piece of paper and the filling out of subjective symptom reports afterwards.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is just an indication that nowadays papers with most citations will be the worst. The 'biomedical' papers quoted are about the worst one can think of.

I would forget citation indices. They are a sign of the blind leading the blind.