Trial By Error: A Terrific Piece about ME/CFS on Australian TV | 4 April 2018 | David Tuller

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sasha, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Latest blog post:

Read the whole thing at:
    http://www.virology.ws/2018/04/04/trial-by-error-a-terrific-piece-about-me-cfs-on-australian-tv/

I highly recommend watching the video, which is a lot easier to watch on YouTube (thanks, Andy!) - I couldn't control the Oz TV one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iym0mBx8fCI

In the interview, David says, "I got an email from a patient saying, 'Fewer of us are going to kill ourselves this holiday season, because of your work.' I felt like I had to continue. I felt like if I stopped, I'd be killing people."

The crowdfund link to support David's work: https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/9730/donate

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    ahimsa, Forbin, Daisybell and 24 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Wrong link Sasha :)

3. Sasha

Well, I just watched that and it was superb. I cried when you cried, @dave30th!

Seriously, I'd pay thousands for something of this quality and with this content to be shown in the UK (apart from the guy saying CBT/GET works for some people but not everybody! o_O).

That PWME Susan (?) is a terrific advocate. Terrific job by both her and the other PWME (so sorry, can't remember her name).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Barry, RuthT, Jan and 15 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Doh! Thank you. Fixed.

Luther Blissett, Yessica and Andy like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. Sasha

Loads better @Andy, thanks - I put the YouTube link into my OP.

Luther Blissett and Andy like this.
  7. FreeSarah

FreeSarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's the best 10 minutes of video work on ME I've ever seen.

Sending gratitude and strength to all involved. More power to you

ahimsa, RuthT, Jan and 17 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Bloody brilliant

ahimsa, Jan, Luther Blissett and 10 others like this.
  9. Sasha

ahimsa, Yessica, Jan and 9 others like this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent video.

I'm ashamed to say, however, that until I watched it I had never given any thought to how David Tuller is coping with the work he is doing. He must be under absolutely enormous pressure. I hope that the pressure isn't going to make him ill.

ahimsa, Barry, ukxmrv and 27 others like this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That really is a terrific video. Thanks for sharing.

The content alone made it worth watching, but (having made a career in the field) I especially appreciated the artfulness The Feed team brought to this short film. Nicely done!

Bill

ahimsa, Chris, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  12. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So moving, brilliant!

ahimsa, petrichor, Chris and 9 others like this.
  13. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent video, and a total tearjerker! :trophy@:cry:
    It is fantastic to see ever-higher-quality reporting hitting the media outlets.

ahimsa, petrichor, Chris and 10 others like this.
  14. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Outstanding! Yep, a tearjerker. @dave30th and all concerned...thank you :hug:

ahimsa, petrichor, Chris and 8 others like this.
  15. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree, I think it's important that we humanise the people working on our behalf, and working for the truth. Even when they produce null results or come up with dead ends, this is valuable.

I also hope that they take the time for self care and take breaks when needed if possible. Anything bad that happens is in no way related to their work or lack of it. The moral responsibility is on others.

Also, I wish they would read The Plague by Camus, as it explains the situation so much more deeply and better than I can.

ahimsa, Binkie4, dangermouse and 13 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

+1

@dave30th You are not morally responsible for this situation nor resolving it. Please make sure you take care of yourself. There is no advantage to anybody in burning yourself out. Perhaps take a decent holiday when you have returned home from this latest round of travel, to recharge your batteries. Above all else, we need you to be objective and hard-nosed about the situation, including the claims we make.

Cheers :thumbup:

ahimsa, RuthT, ukxmrv and 14 others like this.
  17. Sasha

In my 'I'm rich!' fantasies, @dave30th, I not only pay the rest of your crowfund for the year but throw in a spa break! :)

18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, everyone, for your concern. I'm very touched by it. Since that piece ran, I've gotten some anxious messages about my health. So, yes, it was an emotional moment, but I wanted to reassure everyone that I'm fine. The interview must have lasted an hour or so, and I cried for like 45 seconds of it. In that clip, I was describing how I felt 2+ years ago, when I first got that e-mail. I'd never gotten an e-mail like that and it had a big impact on me. I do feel pressure sometimes because of what all of you have suffered, but I know--as @Sean reminds me--that I'm not morally responsible for what's gone on. I do have release mechanisms that serve me well--at home and on the road. I'm taking plenty of time for myself on this trip, as I do in life generally. So please try not to spend any of your energy worrying about my health or that I'll get sick or have a breakdown or whatever. I'm really ok. It is a complete privilege to be working on this project and I plan to continue.

19. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks you so much, David!! For everything that you do:)

I was really moved by the video, good to hear that you're ok:thumbup:

ahimsa, Barry, Yessica and 9 others like this.
  20. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@dave30th What a lovely post! You are SO appreciated. It’s so nice of you to say that you feel privilege to work on this project...what a difference to how BPS people act towards us.

Just...THANK YOU for everything that you do for us and on our behalf.

You are a rock star!

:)

ahimsa, Barry, Yessica and 10 others like this.