Two coronaviruses isolated from central nervous system tissue of two multiple sclerosis patients

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Mij, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Two coronaviruses were isolated from brain material obtained at autopsy from two multiple sclerosis patients. The viruses were neutralized by serum and spinal fluid from these patients. Although most of the population have antibody to these virus isolates, multiple sclerosis patients have slightly higher concentrations of serum antibody than controls. The results suggest that coronaviruses should be considered as one additional virus with a potential implication in the etiology of multiple sclerosis.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.7403860

Sly Saint, Sean, RedFox and 9 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Add Covid to the growing list of pathogenic candidates behind MS.

It's such a rare thing to see someone actually testing tissue, and brain tissue at that(!), for any neurological disease.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    RedFox, DokaGirl, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  3. duncan

I can only access the abstract. Not sure what this quote is saying.

DokaGirl and Ash like this.
  4. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it’s suggesting that the serum and CSF contained neutralising antibodies, but haven’t read the paper either.

RedFox, DokaGirl, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  5. duncan

I have a low regard for what they can infer from serum and CSF to begin with.

Out of context, this can mean a few different things. I suppose it hinges - in part - on what they mean by "neutralized".

RedFox and DokaGirl like this.