Two-Year Longitudinal Study Reveals That Long COVID Symptoms Peak and Quality of Life Nadirs at 6–12 Months Postinfection, 2024, Demko et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Hutan, Aug 30, 2024.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Abstract
    Background

Few longitudinal studies available characterize long COVID outcomes out to 24 months, especially in people with nonsevere acute coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). This study sought to prospectively characterize incidence and duration of long COVID symptoms and their association with quality of life (QoL) from 1–24 months after mild-to-moderate COVID-19 using validated tools in a diverse cohort of unvaccinated people infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020.

Methods
    At 1–3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months post-COVID-19, 70 participants had orthostatic vital signs measured, provided blood, and completed surveys characterizing symptoms, QoL, and return to pre-COVID-19 health and activities using validated tools (FLU-PRO+, Fatigue Severity Scale, Insomnia Severity Index, General Practitioner Assessment of Cognition, Patient Health Questionnaire Depression 8-Item, Generalized Anxiety Disorder 7-Item, 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey, EuroQol EQ-5D-5L).

Results
    During the study period, 33% of participants experienced long COVID (had not returned to pre-COVID-19 health status and reported at least 1 symptom >90 days postinfection); 8% had not returned to their pre-COVID-19 health status 24 months postinfection. Long COVID symptoms peaked 6 months post-COVID-19, frequently causing activity limitations. Having long COVID was significantly associated with decreased QoL in multiple domains. Frequencies of orthostatic hypotension and tachycardia reflected levels reported in the general population. Within-person weight increased significantly between months 1 and 6. Long COVID was associated with pre-COVID-19 obesity and hyperlipidemia, but not with high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels 1–3 months postinfection.

Conclusions
    Long COVID occurs in a significant proportion of unvaccinated people, even if the acute illness was not severe. Long COVID prevalence peaked 6–12 months post-COVID-19, and a small proportion of participants still reported not returning to their pre-COVID-19 health status 24 months post-COVID-19.

Link to paper
    Open access

RedFox likes this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So there must be quite a few who reported that they returned to their normal activities at month 1-3, but not at 12 months.

Dolphin, RedFox, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Don't think I've seen nadir used as a verb before.

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just going to say that @Trish
    To nadir...sounds like a something a duck might do.