Type I Interferonopathy among Non-Elderly Female Patients with Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19, 2024, Xu, Qin

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Sep 29, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Type I Interferonopathy among Non-Elderly Female Patients with Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19
    Xu, Donghua; Qin, Xuebin

The pathophysiological mechanisms of the post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) remain unclear. Sex differences not only exist in the disease severity of acute SARS-CoV-2 infection but also in the risk of suffering from PASC. Women have a higher risk of suffering from PASC and a longer time to resolution than men. To explore the possible immune mechanisms of PASC among non-elderly females, we mined single-cell transcriptome data from peripheral blood samples of non-elderly female patients with PASC and acute SARS-CoV-2 infection, together with age-and gender-matched non-PASC and healthy controls available from the Gene Expression Omnibus database.

By comparing the differences, we found that a CD14+ monocyte subset characterized by higher expression of signal transducers and activators of transcription 2 (STAT2) (CD14+STAT2high) was notably increased in the PASC patients compared with the non-PASC individuals. The transcriptional factor (TF) activity analysis revealed that STAT2 and IRF9 were the key TFs determining the function of CD14+STAT2high monocytes. STAT2 and IRF9 are TFs exclusively involving type I and III interferon (IFN) signaling pathways, resulting in uncontrolled IFN-I signaling activation and type I interferonopathy. Furthermore, increased expression of common interferon-stimulated genes (ISGs) has also been identified in most monocyte subsets among the non-elderly female PASC patients, including IFI6, IFITM3, IFI44L, IFI44, EPSTI1, ISG15, and MX1.

This study reveals a featured CD14+STAT2 high monocyte associated with uncontrolled IFN-I signaling activation, which is indicative of a possible type I interferonopathy in the non-elderly female patients with PASC.

Link | PDF (Viruses) [Open Access]

2. SNT Gatchaman

Ash, Possibly James May and Hutan like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, small sample sizes - only 8 PASC. And with the data coming from samples from seven publications, there could be problems with the selection of the people contributing the samples.

I've got to say that it is impressive that there is a database that can offer this sheer quantity of data though.

but
    So yes, the authors were also concerned about 'non-biological batch effects', although perhaps the comparisons between the PASC group and nonPASC groups are ok. But, that means the comparisons are between 8 PASC and 3 non-PASC.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024
  4. SNT Gatchaman

[25] is Severe COVID-19 and long COVID are associated with high expression of STING, cGAS and IFN-α (2024, Nature Scientific Reports)

Ash and Possibly James May like this.