1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Autism NICE guidelines

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Simbindi, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied from this thread and following posts moved

I'm not sure of the formal evidence, but it does seem to be recognised by the NHS that CBT needs to be adapted for autistic people. However, antidotally I know a number of autistic peers who have been left traumatised by it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
  2. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thats interesting, hadn't heard that before. I can add an anecdote - I had CBT for anxiety (et al) and might possibly be autistic. I do feel sort of traumatised by a good chunk of it, felt gaslit and struggled to trust myself afterwards, and am more convinced now than ever of the bottom line beliefs they tried to change. It was also incredibly frustrating, illogical, and failing at it felt shameful at the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
  3. Simbindi

I've just skimmed the NICE guidelines on adult autism and they were updated in June of this year.

There is a section addressing this in them now (I don't remember that in the older version):
    https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg...interventions-for-coexisting-mental-disorders

4. Simbindi

What I don't think this guidance in the updated NICE autism guidelines recognises, is that advice given by CBT therapists is often illogical, contradictory and judgmental. Many of us have depended on our logic and cognitive abilities to navigate the social world and interactions, so any challenge to that is both likely to be wrong in content and has the potential to create severe trauma and PTSD in autistic people.

5. Simbindi

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Or, indeed, in anyone else who prefers their medical interventions to have some rational basis.

7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, thank you. Will take me a while to read them properly, but in the meantime I do wish somebody would offer me a health passport! I mask so well that nobody has a clue unless they're trained, and there are occasional moments where it might make a genuine difference.

MSEsperanza, Yessica and Trish like this.
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have to look after out own medical needs as we are very neglected. It is perfectly valid to make your own passport or have a card or a medic alert. My grandson wears dog tags which explain he is autistic with severe social anxiety.

If medical staff are caring they will be glad to know of any problems you may have and if they are snippy or sarcastic, well, it prepares you for how they will treat you about everything.

Trish likes this.
  9. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if you are talking about the autism health passport - you can fill that in by yourself at home (I did!).

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/physical-health/my-health-passport

Amw66, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.