Closed UK: DecodeME updates, was recruitment thread.

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thank you Trish, I'll pass your comment along so that the many people behind the scenes know that their hard work is appreciated.

sebaaa, MEMarge, boolybooly and 5 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Also now available on YouTube
    I anticipate, but don't know for certain, that the transcript will be available next week.

ahimsa, EzzieD, Robert 1973 and 5 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Transcript and audio only version of the webinar now available here, https://www.decodeme.org.uk/webinar-recording-and-transcript-second-questionnaire/

And, separately, the final email newsletter for the year.

"As we approach the end of the year, we wanted to thank you for everything we have achieved together in 2023:

• We closed participant recruitment in November. Almost 27,000 people signed up and completed their questionnaire, and over 21,000 were invited to provide a DNA sample. Together we created the largest database and resource of ME/CFS people in the world, which was recognised in the UK Government’s ME/CFS delivery plan in August. This is an amazing achievement. We are absolutely delighted to be moving forward to the next stage with such a strong cohort of participants. Thank you!
    • Analysis of the questionnaire answers from the first 17,000 DecodeME participants was published in August. This generated substantial national and international media coverage. Read our summary blog here.
    • In the past year, we also hosted several Q&A webinars which can be found on our website here. Subtitles, transcripts and audio-only files are available, so you can watch, listen or read at your own pace. These include our most recent webinar from the 14th of December.
    Click here for a replay of the 14 Dec webinar

Looking ahead

Our focus now is on getting as many spit kits back as possible.

If you are yet to return your kit, please do so by the 31 January 2024 at the latest. As there can be unpredictable delays with the post, especially over the holiday season, please post your kit back to us as soon as possible and before this date, if you can. Each sample returned will strengthen the results of our research, so we really appreciate every single kit sent back.

In January, we will invite all existing participants, who completed the first questionnaire, to complete a second questionnaire. This second questionnaire is designed to give scientists more detailed information on ME/CFS. Read our blog here.

Finally, the DecodeME office, phoneline, and email will be closed for the holidays from 18 Dec 2023 to 7 Jan 2024.

Sending you Happy Holiday greetings from all at DecodeME!
    Thank you for supporting the study, we couldn’t do this without you!

Warmest wishes,
    The DecodeME Team"

sebaaa, MEMarge, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  4. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, dangermouse, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, that probably shouldn't have happened.

Even though the team are now holiday until the New Year, please could you send an email to info@decodeme.org.uk, explaining the situation to allow them to investigate? Please don't do anything with the spit kit for the moment. Thanks for highlighting this.

MEMarge, alktipping, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  6. boolybooly

Of course, no problem, thankyou for validating my doubt and the suggestion, wilco! o7

7. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hello,

I have received another spit kit, though I sent mine back many months ago.

I didn’t receive an email to say that it was received but recently had an email to tell me that a kit was on its way to me.

I have emailed the DecodeME team to see what is going on.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I saw a few people on Twitter saying something similar

sebaaa, MEMarge, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you ever query whether your sample had been received?

I wondered if someone was checking through previous messages and procedures, and couldn't be sure that some returned kits that were lost en route to the lab had been reissued.

Obviously if you never got in touch to ask ... that's not the explanation. :)

10. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given some of the recent genetic findings on Raynaud’s I was wondering if that is somehow partially assessed in one of the DecodeME questionnaires (I fully understand that there’s also a rather smaller upper limit to what can be assessed)?

Ash, MeSci, RedFox and 5 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, sorry, it isn't. Obviously though we will compare our genetic findings with that of other studies, and noting any reasonable connections if there are any.

Ash, sebaaa, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  12. boolybooly

Turns out they were unable to extract enough DNA. I had better get spitting!

Ash, Kitty, sebaaa and 7 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Email invitations are now being sent out today to existing participants. This is being done in batches, so there is no guarantee of when exactly you might receive it but the plan is to have sent them all by the end of this week. If you don't see it by the weekend, please do check your spam/junk folder in case your email provider has decided that they didn't like the look of it.

SNT Gatchaman, EzzieD, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  14. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Got mine and already done it! :woot:

Thanks as always to the DecodeME team! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SNT Gatchaman, EzzieD, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  15. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too! :thumbup:

Fizzlou, MeSci, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Coincidentally to our release of the second questionnaire, two case studies about patient representation in research have been published following discussions that Chris Ponting and I had with someone from the UK Research Institute.

Representing public voices in a research study

The patient voice is at the centre of everything that happens in this ME/CFS research study, so the community has influence in what is decided.

By Andy Devereux-Cooke, co-founder of the Science for ME forum and a co-investigator (Patient and Public Involvement) on the Management Group.

https://www.ukri.org/manage-your-aw...presenting-public-voices-in-a-research-study/

Putting people with lived experience at the heart of research

People with lived experience are at the heart of this ME/CFS research study and involved in all aspects of the research, from design, governance and delivery.

By Professor Chris Ponting, Investigator, MRC Human Genetics Unit at The University of Edinburgh.

https://www.ukri.org/manage-your-aw...th-lived-experience-at-the-heart-of-research/

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've filled in my questionnaire too, and my daughter has done hers.

A very well set out questionnaire. Thanks as ever to the DecodeME team.

There was only one question I had trouble answering, it was something about whether I sleep more or less when in PEM. I think I start off sleeping less because of tired but wired symptoms, then end up sleeping more through sheer exhaustion.

The letter explains the purpose of the questionnaire well:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    bobbler, EzzieD, Fizzlou and 11 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Fizzlou, RedFox, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  19. tornandfrayed

tornandfrayed Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm doing the questionnaire now. I'm struggling a bit with the pacing question. It hasn't improved my symptoms, but on the other I'm sure I'd be worse without out so it hasn't had no effect.

Also about PEM. I think I'm usually in rolling/layered PEM, but I've answered the questions about large deteriorations caused by something major like a medical appointment, because that's clearer to define.

Amw66, Gecko, Ash and 6 others like this.
  20. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've just shared this to a number of my social media channels:
    Attention: just 2 weeks left to return your spit kit. A few months ago there were thousands still out there. Because of the number of genes, the bigger the sample size the more informative the study so the more that are returned the better. #MEcfs #CFS #PwME #DecodeME

Amw66, Binkie4, RedFox and 7 others like this.