UK: Disability benefits (UC, ESA and PIP) - news and updates 2024 (including PIP consultation)

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by John Mac, Jan 29, 2024.

1. tornandfrayed

tornandfrayed Established Member (Voting Rights)

@JemPD, I'm sorry, I haven't been online and only just saw your post. I don't want to leave you worrying. No, it's not about a starting a new claim (although that was my fear). The person on the phone said several times that they were sorry and that I'd done nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, this may happen to you or others on the forum. I'm on the same type of ESA as you are and have been on it and its predecessors for decades. As I understand it everything should be as before, although I'm worried that there might be additional fall-out or that it's brought me to their attention.

I'm wondering if I should write to John Pring about it.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and JemPD like this.
  2. tornandfrayed

Please remove this if it breaches the rules on political content.

I've just seen MPs, including the Chancellor, on TV talking about taking part in the London Marathon. They are all raising money for health/disability charities.

To be honest it makes me feel sick, since many of them have instigated and voted for policies that deny sick and disabled people the basics for life, and expressed hate against us. But a jolly day out for CHARIDEE makes it alright.

Missense, Kitty, Sean and 9 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. JellyBabyKid

JellyBabyKid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2024
    Trish, lunarainbows, Fainbrog and 3 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For info, here are the consultation questions:

Missense, Binkie4, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. JellyBabyKid

That's really helpful. Thanks @Kitty

I am planning to write a response, but have a serious lack of capacity, and it feels totally pointless after the WCA Consultation, which they published their response to 23 days after it closed - which I broke myself trying to respond to along with the DHSC consultation and the disability action plan all running concurrently last year.

Missense, Binkie4, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  7. Kitty

There's a chance it'd be a pointless exercise this time, as there may be a change of government in the not-too-distant. There's likely to be some focus on this even if the current opposition gets voted in, but all bets are off on what it will look like and when it will happen.

As for the current government, I think it's likely to be as much a political exercise as anything, along with other recent announcements.

Missense, John Mac, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  8. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All treatments exhausted or exhausted by all treatments??

Missense, alktipping, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  9. JellyBabyKid

I agree, but I can't stand by and do nothing, as the stress this causes is overwhelming, and at least I will have put my comments in writing for future reference purposes - mostly mine.

MEMarge, Missense, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  10. tornandfrayed

I'm just so confused now. There's been so many consultations. This seems more about the Severe Disability Group, not about the announcements/threats over the last few days.

And why do we have to provide evidence when none of this is based on evidence. I used to work with government publications and whatever the substance at least they followed a linear process - announcement in the Queen's Speech, Green Paper, consultation process, Select Committee report, White Paper before legislation was drawn up. There had to be statistics and projections, not just stuff made up on the spot. For major legislation the process would take several years. Now it's all over the place.

Responding to these consultations has caused a decline in my health, and it's not made a blind bit of difference. It's just got worse and worse. After all if they don't care what the UN says, why should they listen to us.

MEMarge, Missense, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

I am really worried about the new proposed changes to PIP. I have a big worry that even if an election is close, that these changes will still go through with a new govt. After all, the opposition party have also in recent months said “there is no option of a life on benefits” and that they are “the party of work”. I feel a niggling worry that the shadow cabinet (if they become the new govt) would carry on with these ideas and put them into practice.

For this reason I feel it’s something I should be taking seriously?

The govt are saying that the PIP cost to the public is too much. They are talking about vouchers instead of cash payments. Having tiers of funding so that your GP has to certify how severe your condition is and how much funding you need every month for expenses related to your disability and health condition. One-off payments for aids and adaptations instead of ongoing payments. And I also think this rhetoric is feeding into society and more people will vilify and hate disabled and sick people. There’s so much there, I really worry that this is the start of a really downhill road.

Is anyone else worried like me? PIP is a lifeline for our family.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2024
    Sarah94, Wits_End, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  12. MrMagoo

MrMagoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not worrying too much yet, I don’t think there will be the draconian sweeping changes that they’ve mooted even if the Tories stay in power.
    In the meantime I’ll be gathering as much medical evidence as I can and trying to build a little cushion of savings.
    This kind of “prep” helps me feel a bit more in control, as let’s face it my PIP or LCWRA could be reviewed or changed at short notice anyway and I need to be ready.

13. Kitty

14. JellyBabyKid

15. Kitty

I'm not sure it is, TBH. Quite a lot of it seems to be more about them imagining that people housebound with anxiety and depression are a bit fed up, and that putting in a couple of grab handles and a raised loo seat will cover all the additional costs of people with mobility problems.

Basing awards on a named condition instead of how it affects people is a new approach, but anyone looking at how it would work in practice will see it's unfeasible. For one thing, it'd still be based on how the conditions affect people—almost everyone over a certain age has osteoarthritis, for instance, but it only causes significant disability in a minority of them. For another, it could theoretically lead to people getting higher awards, since a good proportion of claimants will have several conditions.

The whole thing looks so rushed and ill-thought out that I'm not going waste time on it. The disability organisations will have to, and what they say might be important—if a different party is elected at the next GE, it could possibly form part of an exercise in reviewing PIP. But they'd probably have a completely different set of questions anyway, so as an individual, I'll wait for them.

MrMagoo, MEMarge, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  16. Kitty

Another Guardian article about the proposed changes, this time from a psychologist:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/may/01/rishi-sunak-welfare-support-depression-anxiety

Wits_End, Missense, MrMagoo and 7 others like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Others will probably have actual experience of this and maybe I’m wrong but the proposal around changing to vouchers to help with adaptations doesn’t appear in any event to be something new because the Disabled Facilities Grant already exists. Albeit that you have to apply to your local council for this and it’s no doubt very difficult to get. So using something already available,if not in exactly the same way, as some kind of new approach is disingenuous to say the least.

18. Kitty

It does, and I suspect the ideas was try and take people off PIP because "support already exists". Except that it doesn't, DFGs are quite specific and don't cover ongoing costs. Same goes for the small aids that people get via their local authority.

I think it may depend on the council's attitude.

DFG is fully funded by central government, and councils even get an additional grant to reimburse the costs of their staff processing applications and project-managing installations. It was explained to me by the officer who handled mine.

Our council took the view that if adaptations were justified they should be done, not least because it's always possible that good, impactful funding schemes could be withdrawn in future. This is why I applied for the replacement of my wheelchair ramp, and ended up with a stairlift and wet room as well! I hadn't asked for them because I didn't want to be greedy, but they took a more pragmatic view—I had a history of falls, there was no question I needed them, and why not get them done now whilst the funding's available.

Missense, MrMagoo, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Maybe it was around lucky timing @Kitty. i was under the impression from looking into it for a relative that they have a fixed pot every year as the council in that area closed applications until they got the next year’s pot.

Missense, MrMagoo, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  20. Kitty

It was several years ago, too.

Missense, MrMagoo, MEMarge and 5 others like this.