1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

[UK] Is it possible to obtain your own NHS scan imagery?

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by InitialConditions, Jun 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone done this? I assume I have a right to the images.

Kitty, Shinygleamy, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had mine from a London hospital. It was included in the fee I paid to get my entire medical records. Getting copies of the scan images was a very difficult process as they are not included in the normal medical records dump to paper that one normally gets. Usually they will provide the written report of the scan. It took about 1 year to get them all and many letters and phone calls. This was years ago now and I don't know the current charging arrangement or law now.

Kitty, Shinygleamy, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I routinely do this now when anyone has a scan, because of the history of things being lost/not sent to consultant etc. Was not that expensive last time I needed one, can't remember exact amount, maybe around £10, but a few years ago.

Kitty, Shinygleamy, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, how did you go about getting hold of it... ie who did you ask & when? -how did you initiate getting it?

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you can obtain your imaging it's a good idea. You may find something relevant in those results has been ignored. Something blatant, even non-medical personnel, with a bit of research, can note, and understand. Something you can discuss with your physician.

6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just asked in the X-Ray or scanning department for a copy, with the images now sent digitally it is relatively straightforward for them to provide a CD copy. I have not tried for old/past scans.

Amw66, DokaGirl, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  7. InitialConditions

Does anyone know if the rules regarding access to medical records from your GP apply to hospital records? They are generally different systems.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess it depends on whether you want information going forward or historical records.

I think mist consultants will send you a copy of test results and letters to your GP if asked but not the records themselves. I would imagine you woukd need to approach the local health authority.

Patient Liaison (PALS) might be able to help if anyone here doesn't have the answer.

InitialConditions and Kitty like this.
  9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I did – cost me £10 for the DVD.

It's available to you under GDPR, and your hospital will have its own procedure for submitting a Subject Access Request. At the moment there might be a delay, or they might even have suspended the service, but it will be available eventually.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You are entitled to copies of hospital images but generally they have to be burnt on to a new CD. You cannot get them sent to your email or put on a memory stick for security reasons relating to bugs in hospital computers. You normally have to pay. The images may require special software to read though. So they may be good to give to another doctor to read but may be difficult to open without hospital software.

12. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been able to access my hospital records for many years. Maybe different rules apply though in the UK, as opposed to Canada.

13. InitialConditions

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  14. InitialConditions

Just to update: I submitted a Subject Access Request to the two different NHS Trusts that I have used, in the same way I did to my GP practice. Waiting on the information to be posted or emailed. Scan imagery is usually included and there was explicit mention of it on the forms I had to fill in to request the data from one of the Trusts. You do not have to pay. I hope everything is included and I don't have to chase missing documents/information.