UK: LBC phone in on ME 8pm, 24th August 2024

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Adam pwme, Aug 24, 2024.

1. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LBC call in Natasha Devon wrote about Wessely the other day which may have promoted this calling.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/opinion/views...-system-is-natasha-devon-on-sir-simon-wesley/

!!#MECFS & #LongCovid Peeps!!
    I just had an Insta message from Natasha Devon saying she is going to cover ME on her show tonight 8pm @LBC !!
    She doesn’t use her X account anymore but she is on s
    PLS RT & TAG EVERYONE
    #ThereForME

https://twitter.com/user/status/1827366037592871373

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
    hotblack, Solstice, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  2. Adam pwme

Would be good to get some people from the forum to discuss the history and bad science.

Just did a quick search and these look like the contact details

To contact the presenter in the studio, call 0345 60 60 973 text 84850 or WhatsApp 0345 60 60 973
    Postal address: 30 Leicester Square, London WC2H 7LA

https://www.lbc.co.uk/contact/contact-lbc/

Hutan, Missense, MeSci and 15 others like this.
  3. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it's tonight at 8pm. Short notice. I hope someone knowledgeable can call in.

Hutan, Missense, MeSci and 10 others like this.
  4. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

John Mac, Hutan, Ash and 9 others like this.
  5. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too. I darent as I’d get eaten alive or might say something slightly wrong due to nature of talking when exhausted

huge admiration to those who are both up to speed enough and able to be on their toes in a conversation- it’s so frustrating how we are so far it would even be lots of work to convey the extent of adjustments that would be needed for most of us :confused:

hotblack, Hutan, Ash and 12 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Much too short notice for PWME to be able to prepare what points to make and fit it in around other activity. that type of thing would take a lot of concentration & energy

Ash, Missense, MeSci and 11 others like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

John from Swansea ( John the Jack? ) has explained his illness eloquently bringing in Wessely's name. He described not being seen as a reliable witness to his own experience which has been repeated by the presenter.

8. Binkie4

8.32 presenter says that most people want to talk about ME ( the invitation was to invisible illnesses in general). She says there seems to be something of a scandal here ( no names or details stated).

rainy, Solstice, Hutan and 24 others like this.
  9. bobbler

Ricky gervais joke being mentioned as that sort of thing contributing to the stigma

rainy, Ash, Missense and 17 others like this.
  10. Binkie4

Presenter has invited doctors to give their perspective and promised to return to the topic.
    Agy is speaking with a powerful description of how ME feels.

rainy, Solstice, Hutan and 20 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Last caller describes it as a living hell with no end in sight. Her husband has ME and cannot tolerate any sound in the house.

rainy, Solstice, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The surface has been scratched. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of it, in particular to see if there is pushback from the usual suspects.

I messaged in about paediatrics and FII, perhaps a tad controversial.

rainy, Solstice, Hutan and 21 others like this.
  13. bobbler

One caller used example that a nurse or HCA poured water over her when she was in hospital because they didn’t believe in the illness’

rainy, JohnTheJack, Solstice and 23 others like this.
  14. Adam pwme

15. Adam pwme

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just listened. That was a really powerful program. The callers spoke so eloquently about gaslighting by clinicians and in many cases family and friends, loneliness, appalling treatment, doctors saying to their face that ME isn't a real disease and so on.

The presenter was really good, she listened, empathised and gave people time to tell their story while keeping things moving on so lots of people could be heard.

Thanks to all who contributed, and to @Adam pwme for providing the recording.

Robert 1973, John Mac, rainy and 30 others like this.
  17. bobbler

The thing that feels like a change recently is when it’s not just 3 callers you can’t put it down to maybe just being ‘them’ or ‘unusual’.

The phone ins with lots of callers (particularly combined with other coverage being more in general at the moment) have surprised me for how good / powerful a medium it can be (I agree with @Trish that the presenter can make the difference here) for showing up potential scandals or patterns going on

because you get the numbers to see the themes are coming through and it starts being not about ‘the patients’ or excuses under ‘it’s a debate’ stuff but the actual ‘what’s happened’ is actually getting heard.

it feels like someone listening by the end might struggle to think ‘all those different people deserved that or caused it themselves’ , although I’m always amazed by people of course

rainy, JohnTheJack, Solstice and 20 others like this.
  18. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The comment on the positive aspect of social media, allowing patients to connect, share and form community, was well made. No doubt the foolish will claim Munchausen's-by-Tiktok.

rainy, JohnTheJack, tuppence and 24 others like this.
  19. Adam pwme

Auto generated transcript with timings

Attached Files:

rainy, JohnTheJack, tuppence and 15 others like this.
  20. Adam pwme