UK: MS society launch major £100m fundraising drive

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Cinders66, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From MS society Facebook

“It’s finally here! Today we’re launching our most ambitious appeal ever. You’ll see people with MS on TV and in print, shouting loudly that we’re ready to stop MS. We’re aiming to raise £100 million. Leading researchers believe that we could have treatments that work for everyone in late stage clinical trials by 2025. Together, we can see a future where nobody need worry about their MS getting worse. Find out more: https://mssoc.uk/2OtYN55

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    MEMarge, Annamaria, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  2. Cinders66

They’ve made a really powerful advert here to support the fundraising effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSiSiQKssno

it’s powerful because it contrasts the suffering of today with the hope transformative research can bring and it shows young /old, lesser and the more severe with wheelchairs, difficult bed physio, mri scans all used to show what MS involves.

MEMarge, Dolphin, petrichor and 4 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

If I’m ever asked - by taxi drivers, people in cafes, shops etc I say ME is similar to MS but unlike MS there isn’t any medication for it.

I think this and the ad campaign about arthritis will be beneficial for chronic illnesses generally in raising public awareness. I hope they get an increase in donations.

MEMarge, alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  4. Cinders66

I’m happy that they are so “up there” with resources and hope but one of my “hopes” for ME given our own research investment is low used to be that “fatigue” research in other illness might benefit us, however with MS especially, the fatigue stuff seems still left often to “management “ and the focus is more stopping or reversing the illness. This is understandable and fabulous from their perspective but it means the money they get will possibly not do research of direct benefit to us.
    Maybe there will be some indirect benefit from generally learning more about inflammation, neurological function, mitochondrial function etc, and so yes if it can get money from the public that otherwise would have gone on chocolate and game boys or whatever, it will overall increase medical knowledge, so a positive. And yes highlighting the existence and diversity of chronic illness to the public is good. We need our own campaigns though.

5. Cinders66

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't personally like the ad. video. It tells practically nothing and has ad agency feel to it rather than patient led feel. The patients have no real voice. But I guess others will respond better than I do - each to their own.

I wish them well with the campaign. MS may be ahead of us in the sense of having better diagnostic testing and some treatments that slow early damage, but the worst form of MS is horrible, degenerative, and has no treatments.