1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: NHS data sharing – deadline imminent

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Kitty, May 30, 2021.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The deadline has just been extended to 'September' - I am not aware of a date in September so I'd assume the 1st.

Possibly giving them enough time to retire type 1 opt outs, and not replace them until say November? (I am unfortunately very suspicious of such an easy stall given that they haven't exactly been forthcoming with any details, on anything, to do with this, and therefore suspect...sneaky underhand devious things)

Of slight alarm to me, myself, and I (all 3 of us), is the reference to this all being in the 'national interest' - when I am not in the national interest, in any way, shape or form. In that I contribute squat but cost the nation resources and money. It could be seen as being in the 'national interest' if my health records were used as an excuse to help refine policies to stop this needless drain. Only 10 years worth of what it costs to 'support' me could, after all, buy a roll of wallpaper. The cost of keeping me alive for a week could buy a sandwich for someone 'vital' (to the national interest).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Invisible Woman, Kitty, Trish and 5 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"The creation of a central NHS digital database from GP records in England will be delayed by two months, the government has announced.

The system was due to begin on 1 July, but the date has now been pushed back to 1 September."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57400902

3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know if the June deadline for patients opting out has been extended or if it remains the 23rd of June? I could not find anything on this in the couple of articles I read.

4. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The reason for the 23 June deadline was so that the there was a week for registering the Opt-out by the surgery before data collection commenced on the 1 July, I believe.

5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My GP practice has just shared the following on opting out of planned data sharing/marketing:

6. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

GP Data for Planning and Research: Letter from Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health and Social Care to general practices in England - 19 July 2021
    https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...secretary-of-state-letter-to-general-practice