1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: PIP appeals - advice, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Wits_End, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, after wearing myself out doing the ESA questionnaire, woudyabelieveit, we got a decision to continue as-is, no face-to-face, nothing! Something went right for once - although possibly it was simply because they realised she'd be too old to qualify pretty shortly and it probably wasn't worth wasting the finances on calling her in for interview.

2. Daisy

Daisy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I echo what has been said about Benefits and Work. Their very detailed guides are well worth the subscription. The guides give advice on how to answer every question and what information the DWP is actually after....not always clear from the question.

I also send in all my medical reports even the old ones as they document a history of chronic illness.

3. Wits_End

To add to my list of potentially useful sites: I hadn't thought to look there because I don't really regard ME as a disability as such, but the Scope website seems to be active and contain a lot of discussion on PIP, ESA and so on.

Still trying to find an advocate, and thinking I may need to try doing it myself :(

EDIT: Too late to add this to my original post #14, but if you're in London and the South-East, or Nottingham:

http://www.thefru.org.uk/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    bobbler, MEMarge, Annamaria and 3 others like this.
  4. Blueskytoo

Blueskytoo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't recommend this Facebook group enough for benefits advice - it's run by volunteers, all sick and most with ME, and it has a huge library of resources and information, all free to use. With their help and support I was able to get an enhanced award for both daily living and mobility (I am severe) and just recently had my first review after 2 years.The first I knew of anything happening with this, apart from expecting a letter saying I'd have to reapply, was actually an award letter on the date due for the review saying it had all been carried out based on my original paperwork and they were upholding my award and I would have it awarded for an ongoing period, which is a 10 year "light touch" review. I was totally amazed, but also I'm sure I wouldn't have got it that easily had I not fought so hard for my first award, and I only did that because of the support group. I absolutely wouldn't have known where to start without them, it was pure luck I found the group through a friend which is why I share it where I can, because there's so many people out there who were in the same position I was. I'm lucky, I don't need this money to survive, but lots of people do.

I did have to fight for my first award - my original award was for standard for both parts but I appealed and just before my appeal date they wrote to me and offered me the double enhanced award I should have had all along. Without the help of the wonderful people in this Facebook group, I wouldn't have had a clue where to start with any of it. And since then I've also used their advice and resources to win support group ESA and the Universal Credit equivalent for all three of my kids, all of whom have chronic stuff and disabilities of their own.

It's a closed group so no one on your Facebook can see what you're posting and the community is hugely supportive as well as knowledgeable. The admins are the ones with the real understanding of how the hideously complex UK benefits system is and how it works, and not just for disability stuff either, they can help with housing benefits as well and there's even help with claiming on illness insurance. I can't recommend it enough.

Here's the link for anyone interested - hope we can help.
    The UK ME & Chronic Illness Benefits Advice Group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/278260135547189/

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've tried in the past to join this group, on at least a couple of occasions I think.

I remember it because of the 3 questions thing.

I have never received a reply yet alone been able to join.

:grumpy:

6. Wits_End

Thank you, Blueskytoo. I'm afraid I don't do Facebook, which is obviously a major problem :(

7. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Id like to second this, it’s the best resource I’ve found for help. They are amazing.

That’s weird wonko, I can ask an admin in the group for you if you’d like? Send me a pm if you’re interested.

8. Wits_End

Oh dear, oh dear, disastrous appeal :( I'm going to write more about it in the Members Only bit, away from prying eyes.

9. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I missed my PIP face to face,wonder what will happen

Annamaria, MEMarge and Trish like this.
  10. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-...pendence-Payment/Go-to-PIP-medical-assessment

Annamaria, wastwater, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Wits_End

(BTW, I've added to my post #23)

12. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for posting that - it is very useful information for members who can access the 200 listed referral agencies.

It's a terrible situation in the UK that getting professional legal representation is a complete postcode lottery (since the removel of Legal Aid for benefit appeals and tribunals). Residents in my area have no access to this sort of quality free legal support. For me, I saw it as essential to get my PIP forms right and to predict, and prepare myself for, the problems that would arise in a face to face - because having to go to an tribunal would have been unmanageable for me without a legal representative to speak on my behalf. I know autistic people who have been forced to speak at their tribunal - and then this is used to say they can 'socially engage and communicate'.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    bobbler, Daisy, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  13. Wits_End

It's an absolute disgrace. I probably mentioned above that if I were a London Borough or two over I'd have loads more options. Coverage ought to be more or less the same throughout the country.

bobbler, MEMarge, Daisy and 4 others like this.
  14. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Daisy, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  15. Wits_End

Lucky her ...

MEMarge, Daisy and Annamaria like this.
  16. Wits_End

Daisy and Trish like this.
  17. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All parliamentery petitions will close early at 00.01am on 6 November 2019 due to the general election. These petitions will not be re-opened after Parliament re-opens after the election. The next Government will decide whether to respond or not to those that qualify.

Petitions will remain online to read.

18. Wits_End

Another one I've just come across on the B&W website:
    https://pipinfo.net/

I do wish I'd known about all these before we started this PIP application.

Ariel, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On my second application for PIP a friend gave me a good tip: if you use mobility/ bathing/ kitchen aids then include photos you have taken of the aids.
    I was awarded higher rate mobility, and standard rate personal care. ( i was one mark away from higher personal care!)
    We decided not to appeal and to make do with less income.

Sending good wishes to anyone awaiting results/ filling out pip forms.

Ariel, Wits_End, Kirsten and 8 others like this.