UK: Raise the DWP Christmas Bonus from £10 for the first time in 51 YEARS!!!*�

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Sly Saint, Sep 12, 2024.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this petition seems to have had a renewed interest in the media given the situation re heating allowance.

Petition · Raise the DWP Christmas Bonus from £10 for the first time in 51 YEARS!!!*� - United Kingdom · Change.org

bobbler, Lou B Lou, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember getting it in the late 80s, before they decided that people who had double (or more) my income needed it more, so withdrew it from me. I was, at the time, on supplementary benefit bed and breakfast rate(short version - it was DSS policy at the time that claimants must move every few weeks so as to discourage them from...well...something, and the only accommodation that was available was generally out of season B&B's), and after my landlord took his cut I was left with around £8 per week to live off, so an extra £10 was a big deal - for instance it would much more than pay for an entire christmas dinner, or components thereof if people were lucky enough to have things like a kitchen. To match it these days it seems likely that over £100 would be needed.

Bunch of Christmas/claimant hating *&*(* at the DWP will not increase it, in fact they are more likely to remove it completely if their attention is called to the fact that it's still being paid.

Hutan, bobbler, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've only qualified for it for a few years, but every time it feels like a calculated insult.

Hutan, Keela Too, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  4. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the accompanying letter that says: here's your £10, and if the DWP has accidentally overpaid you then you'll be subject to legal proceedings and sanctions. So very festive and Christian.

Hutan, bobbler, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl:

What a Christmas card.

Next favourite is the one from the jeweller I bought a gift from in 1997, who bafflingly still has enough hope I might go back one day that he somehow got hold of the new address when I moved.

Hutan, bobbler, Arnie Pye and 7 others like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh:

I think they send it out with glee at the cold clutch of terror that the sight of a DWP envelope on the mat, brings as one is descending the stairs. I can imagine them rubbing their hands together.
    It ought to have a little picture of an overly happy evil gremlin on the envelope. (One for pompous parsnip AI thread perhaps?) Something that looks smiley and generous but is also reaallly creepy.
    In all honesty I'd happily forgo the tenner to avoid another DWP letter terror-spasm at any time of the year.

:laugh:

hotblack, Hutan, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stuff like this will probably be on the hit list for the Chancellor to cut in the budget. Along with making PIP a means tested or taxable benefit.

hotblack, bobbler, MrMagoo and 4 others like this.
  8. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

its not the 1st time in 52yrs. it was raised before but only for 1 year. Cant remember exact year.it was when Gordon Brown was chanceler.[ sp :laugh: ] the Xmas before the year of him taking over as PM from Tony Blair so probably about 20 or so years ago.. it was raised to £60 for that year. it was a nice surprise.

hotblack, bobbler, MrMagoo and 5 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

as per the petition (see my earlier post)
    "It did go up by LABOUR to £70 in 2008 to help with the financial crash"

10. Sly Saint

Labour refuses to increase even £10 Christmas bonus after winter fuel payment fury
    Labour refuses to increase even £10 Christmas bonus after winter fuel payment fury (msn.com)

hotblack, Kitty, Lou B Lou and 2 others like this.
  11. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeh . I was out by a couple of years. Gorden Brown became PM in 2007.And I thought it was £60,
    Not bad for someone with severe cognitive issues / brain fog etc.
    Also Not sure if it was solely because of the financial crash, there were other political reasons.

hotblack and MrMagoo like this.
  12. Sly Saint

DWP's £10 Christmas bonus deemed 'meaningless' as UK families struggle with soaring costs
    DWP's £10 Christmas bonus deemed 'meaningless' as UK families struggle with soaring costs (msn.com)

Kitty, hotblack, Wonko and 1 other person like this.