1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK: Walk for ME 2023

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Andy, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From their Facebook post, https://www.facebook.com/WalkforMEU...cstrCnpyb1TEnsqB18rfLqdnb6aPea5xNpqwgPKzvgSHl

"Welcome to Walk for ME 2023!

The original idea behind Walk for ME was that friends and family members did a sponsored walk on behalf of a loved one with ME but this has expanded over the years with people doing walks, runs, swims, climbs and bike rides in countries across the world. People can do any event, any distance whenever they like!

We will again be supporting Invest in ME Research and ME Research UK as they focus solely on biomedical research into ME. We hope you will join the team this year and get involved. Please do contact us if you would like to do an event or know someone who would. Please do join this year’s Facebook event page at https://www.facebook.com/events/1266868370531625/ for updates on people’s events and fundraising activities!

To join the team just set up a justgiving page for Invest in ME Research or ME Research UK and link it to the Walk for ME team page at www.justgiving.com/team/walkforme2023. Everyone is welcome to join however large or small the event! Both charities are happy to supply t-shirts and other fundraising goodies to people doing events for them too.

There are lots of ideas and resources on our website www.walkforme.co.uk so please do check that out or send us a message on Facebook or email us at www.theteam@walkforme.co.uk

We would love you to join us in raising awareness of ME and funds for biomedical research which are so desperately needed.

Love Ian, Sarah-Louise, Geoff and Luke"

Binkie4, shak8, IanMcPhee and 11 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Just bumping this, a very good initiative. The website reports that nearly 200,000 pounds has been raised for ME/CFS research.

Binkie4, shak8, IanMcPhee and 5 others like this.
  3. IanMcPhee

IanMcPhee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Andy and @Hutan

We are aiming to launch a new Walk for ME website by May, and also to try and get more of a presence on social media. If anyone knows of someone who would like to do a walk or event this year please do get in touch :)

Binkie4, shak8, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  4. IanMcPhee

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2023
    Pustekuchen, Kitty, Hutan and 22 others like this.
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Binkie4, Dolphin, IanMcPhee and 6 others like this.
  6. IanMcPhee

Thank you, greatly appreciated :) We are considering expanding to more social media sites, but as we all have ME it's a question of working out which platforms get the most traction for the least amount time and energy.

Binkie4, ahimsa, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it’s great the amount you post on Mastodon about ME/CFS matters. Without you, I think a lot of news-y items would never get posted there.

8. ahimsa

Thanks, Tom :heart:

Mutual admiration society - I admire all the posting that you do on mastodon, too! :)

And you post on so many other platforms (twitter, facebook, instagram - and more that I've forgotten). It's amazing!:jawdrop:

9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. Main other ones are Tumblr and Pinterest, and also post to some mailing lists. Am on LinkedIn but mainly use that just to post on some of the Irish ME/CFS Association activities I’m involved in.

10. IanMcPhee

A quick update.

This year people doing a Walk for ME have raised an amazing £15, 667.61, which brings the total to nearly £211,000 raised in the last 10 years.

We are also now on Bluesky if anyone want's to follow us there. https://bsky.app/profile/walk4me.bsky.social

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
    rvallee, Missense, Ash and 11 others like this.
  11. ahimsa

Congrats! :woot::trophy@

Just FYI, that link is not visible to anyone who does not have a Bluesky account.

I'm hoping that at some point Bluesky will make these links public. But for now I wonder whether it's a good platform for activism / fundraising because you can't share links with others.

Anyway, I went to the Facebook account and found the latest post, the one with the cute kitty video.

I will help spread the word by posting about it on Mastodon with a link to the Facebook post and the main website.

EDIT: I thought I'd post a link so you can see what I posted.

https://disabled.social/@ahimsa_pdx/111405739727577512

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  12. IanMcPhee

@ahimsa Thank you. The post is great It's an amazing amount people have raised, especially given the current economic situation.

We're just running the Bluesky account as a Twix backup really, in case Twix goes goes caput. Mastodon and Threads are probably better for activism, but I believe Threads isn't available in Europe yet, and I know quite a few people find Mastodon to technical to set up.

ahimsa, Hutan, Dolphin and 4 others like this.