United Kingdom: NHS Reasonable Adjustments Digital Flag

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Nightsong, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied from this thread

The NHS is apparently rolling out a "reasonable adjustment flag" to share details of physical, sensory, communication & other impairments across the NHS.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/user/status/1803035418528518212

("We have started to roll out the Reasonable Adjustments Digital flag across the NHS and publicly funded care, helping it to become part of a standard approach to care and treatment for all disabled people."; June 18 2024).

More info: https://digital.nhs.uk/services/reasonable-adjustment-flag

Apparently the flags are to be added to a patient's record by a GP. One of the examples given is "a patient who is sensitive to loud noises and would be more comfortable in a low noise environment".

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2024
    MEMarge, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, wll spotted Nightsong!

Just stepping outside of the feeding issues for a moment.... to have a flag for adjustments on our NHS records could be hugely helpful in a much wider sense for us all, disabled people in general.

I think, if it works as described so staff can see it on records, it would help me a lot in all my endless hospital appointments for non-ME-related things. eg colonoscopy, hernia, gynae, general surgery depts. Asking for adjustments is really hard & to have a flag on my notes to back me up when i ask for them could make quite a big difference, especially when coming across 'non-believers'.

That said its not without risk, in terms of what is actually said within the flag, readers interpretations of it - what about when one wants to avoid the 'ME/CFS' stigma & not announce it etc. It may have pros & cons

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2024
    mango, MEMarge, Nightsong and 9 others like this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone have any personal experience of getting this flag on their records?

4. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

agree - I spend a huge amount of energy advocating for adjustments and it's stressful and draining, often fail, then more energy is required for complaints (if I've got it in me).

There are plenty of people in the healthcare system who immediately stigmatise and judge people with the sorts of needs we have, but if we're going to ask for accommodations anyway then flag or no flag wouldn't change that.

mango, Nightsong, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, but I've just written mine down and will try handing them to my new GP next week! :D

Start as you mean to go on, as they say.

mango, MEMarge, Nightsong and 7 others like this.