1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th January 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upadacitinib (rinvoq)--could it reduce fatigue in ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jaybee00, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upadacitinib
    https://www.rinvoq.com/

Janus kinase inhibitor that is selective for the JAK1 subtype of this enzyme--for the treatment of RA

@Jonathan Edwards Any chance that this might also work for ME/CFS?

I ask because I am bombarded with TV commercials for Rinvoq where they say that it can significantly reduce the fatigue found in RA.

I think you said elsewhere that RA fatigue might be physiologically different from MECFS fatigue?

Thanks.

Woolie, MEMarge, sebaaa and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lots of different treatments that reduce cytokine-driven inflammation in RA reduce fatigue. A Janus kinase inhibitor would work through that route so would be expected to reduce fatigue. But that means we only expect it to reduce fatigue in conditions with cytokine-driven inflammation. Cytokine-driven inflammation is reasonably well indicated by CRP levels - which are normal in ME. So there does not appear to be any cytokine-driven inflammation in ME and we would not expect a Janus kinase inhibitor to help.

There are possible exceptions to this argument but at present I don't think we have much to suggest they apply.

shak8, TiredSam, FMMM1 and 10 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.