Uplifts and hassles are related to worsening in chronic fatigue syndrome A prospective study, 2023, Friedberg et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Background: Limited published data suggests that absence of uplifts (minor pleasant events) is associated with clinical worsening in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The current study aimed to assess the relation of illness worsening to the trajectories of social and non-social uplifts and hassles in a six-month prospective study in CFS.

Methods: Participants were primarily in their 40s, female, white, and ill for over a decade. All participants (N=128) met criteria for CFS. The interview-based global impression of change rating was used to classify individual outcomes as improved, unchanged, or worsened at six- month follow-up. Uplifts and hassles, both social and non-social, were assessed with the Combined Hassles and Uplifts Scale (CHUS). The CHUS was administered weekly in online diaries over six months. Linear mixed effect models were utilized to examine linear trends for hassles and uplifts.

Results: No significant differences were found between the three global outcome groups for age, sex, or illness duration; however, work status was significantly lower for the non-improved groups (p<.001). Non-social hassles intensity showed an increasing slope for the worsened group (p=.03) and a decreasing slope (p=0.05) for the improved group. For the worsened group, a downward trend was found for frequency of non-social (p=0.01) uplifts.

Conclusion: Individuals with worsening as compared to improving illness in CFS show significantly different six-month trajectories for weekly hassles and a deficit in uplifts. This may have clinical implications for behavioral intervention.

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-2865400/v1

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"criteria for CFS" = Fukuda

Ben H, Ash, sebaaa and 8 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But when pwME are heading downhill, they're no longer uplifts, are they? By definition, they're now hassles.

Jaysus, this is basic stuff.

obeat, Ben H, Michelle and 19 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://unit3and4psychology.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/hassles_and_uplifts_scale.pdf
    I agree with Kitty - when health worsens, even things that would be pleasures when well become hassles or impossible.
    How 'behavoural intervention' would make any difference to any of this beats me.

obeat, Ben H, Mithriel and 21 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

When your only tool is a hammer...

Ben H, Medfeb, Mithriel and 17 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From the discussion - their suggested behavioural intervention:
    They then go on to suggest Behavioral Activation and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which they say help patients to identify their own values and what activities and relationships they enjoy or not.
    That seems to me incredibly simplistic. [Edit: And insultingly patronising] Surely all of us can identify what makes us feel happier and what we find stressful without needing therapists to tell us. And we know perfectly well which activities and people are draining and which give a bit of a lift. And of course if we can we adjust our lives to include some things we still can enjoy without detriment if possible.
    I don't see how any of that will lead to improvement in health.

On the other hand, provision of safe, affordable and appropriate housing, mobility aids, secure finance, accessible medical, social and personal care, healthy manageable food etc. might actually give us the chance to pace properly and cope better with symptoms so we can actually do some activities that are uplifts rather than hassles.

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    obeat, Michelle, Mij and 20 others like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quote from the paper:

"Uplifts can be a focus of behavioral management [12] if the clinician collaboratively identifies with the patient pleasant, enjoyable, low-effort activities that are often lacking in the lives of individuals with debilitating CFS [31, 32]. This may have relevance to CFS pathophysiology given that a large biobehavioral study in healthy adults suggested that the absence of positivity in daily life may be particularly consequential for inflammation [6]. Examples of positive events that could be applied clinically in CFS include listening to an inspirational speaker, going to a concert, watching ducks on a pond, sharing a special moment with a spouse or friend, or any other moderately pleasant activity that does not trigger long-duration symptom worsening."

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Wow do these people think they are our parents!!!

Eta. I’m likely old enough to be their parent

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    obeat, Mithriel, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  9. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lol what a joke, they all would trigger worsening & a concert would be beyond my wildest dreams !

an inspirational speaker :sick: pukesville

oh, wait....... listening to David Tuller @dave30th gives me considerable uplift ;) but i dont suppose thats what they mean :D:D:D

obeat, lycaena, EzzieD and 17 others like this.
  10. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed.

Ron, EzzieD, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is basically just redefining disability as bothersome. Which is the same as not understanding disability, as there's nothing hard about it. Same old tripe, completely devoid of any intelligence or humanity. All on the basis of "we don't believe you", over a century of the same tripe in loops. Frankly, it has to be said but this is getting into mental illness territory. It's not normal to keep pretending this is "promising" or any valid, it's playing into an obvious delusion about the world.

For some reason, second study on the same theme: Non-improvement in chronic fatigue syndrome: relation to activity patterns, uplifts and hassles, and autonomic dysfunction, 2022, Friedberg et al.

Mithriel, Amw66, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  12. rvallee

In a sense this is basically discovering about PEM and fluctuating, but being completely unable to process it and attributing it to some preferred belief instead. This is the essence of what the answer to life being 42: if you ask the wrong questions, you will get equally wrong answers.

None of this is hard, most of what they memorize is simpler than this. It's all human failure. All of it, the same ugliness in human nature that sees no problem with treating millions of people like disposable garbage, or destroying entire habitats because "it's just business". They hide behind cheap questionnaires to rationalize what they, but the behavior and intent are the same.

Amw66, EzzieD, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  13. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Totally agree with the comments above about the study objectives and findings.

Ughh. Granted, data collection started in 2016 but this PI certainly knew then that PEM was the hallmark symptom. What worries me more is it's still being used in new studies including in Long COVID studies where they are evaluating ME cases in LC cohorts. Makes a mess of cross-study comparisons and the conduct of systematic evidence reviews of any treatments tested.

Edited to add - To be more correct, I know of at least one LC study that used Fukuda and also an ME researcher recommending to LC researchers that Fukuda be used to select ME cases. NIH's Common Data Elements (CDE) guidance is still that that's okay.

Michelle, Ron, DokaGirl and 11 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Instead of x hours of ACT many people could benefit from x hours of practical support eg with advocacy to deal with financial or accommodation hassles or in getting shopping, cleaning, etc etc. do that and any energy freed up is available to do whatever the PWME chooses to do

obeat, Mithriel, Amw66 and 15 others like this.
  15. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

O gee whiz, if only patients had thought of doing the nice things they can still do in a flexible schedule and enjoy the little things, they would have gotten better! Help is coming, duck-watching treatment, hoorah! /s

Apologies for the sarcasm, but the absolute arrogance and disableism from people without any actual lived experience with this disease (or others like it), who think they can tell patients how to deal with life with their illness and come up with harebrained, patronising and simplistic shit like this never ceases to anger and flabbergast me.

Especially this one, as this is basically how patients with unsupported lifechanging illness survive.

Yes.

Michelle, lycaena, Medfeb and 17 others like this.
  16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Just in case anyone is not aware, the lead author is Fred Friedberg of Stony Brook University Renaissance School of Medicine. He has been the President of the IACFS/ME (yep, the International Association of CFS/ME) for years, and has just been re-elected. He has a track record of producing poor research, including a puff piece for what is surely a quack treatment. Oh, and he runs the IACFS/ME Journal that published one of Crawley's studies.

It beggars belief that he is still there, still churning out patronising twaddle.

Never mind watching the ducks on a pond, I find what we do here on S4ME, highlighting the quackery, a moderately pleasant activity.

obeat, Helene, Amw66 and 23 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This really is garbage. Not just scraping the barrel but pouring stuff back in from a different barrel so you can scrape some more.

obeat, Helene, Michelle and 17 others like this.
  18. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The mechanism behind the belief in psychosomatic illness appears to be that uncontrolled severe illness causes feelings of hopelessness and despair. This makes the belief that there is a very simple thing that can be done to cure or control the illness so attractive.

An industry has grown to serve this illusion of control, tirelessly proposing models of illness causation that reverse the true direction of causation so that negative thoughts and emotions are seen not a consequence of illness but its cause.

As the illness fluctuates so does the mood, and this can also fuel these psychosomatic misinterpretations.

lycaena, Medfeb, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  19. Willow

Willow Established Member (Voting Rights)

I can't believe that Friedberg keeps getting funding for this kind of stuff, from the NIH no less. The NIH must have money to burn, it seems. :broken_heart:
    The frustration I feel about this adds to my pile of hassles. :confounded:

Don't think it helps patients much.

obeat, Helene, Medfeb and 13 others like this.
  20. rvallee

Oh wow not kidding, the NIH did fund this garbage:
    Every BPS solution takes the form of some recreational time off: enjoy pictures of animals, take a walk, hang out with friends, finger paint, sing. It's all kindergarten recess stuff, and somehow they're still not sure if it's useful after decades of pretending it "may" be useful, when really they were simply saying whatever they wanted to be true. Medical institutions will fund garbage like this but not replication studies, or preliminary studies, or barely any studies at all. But they will give you money if you condescendingly treat a patient population made of millions like we're bored toddlers.

I haven't found anything impressive out of this IACFS or whatever. I guess that explains it.

The ducks in a pond almost feel like trolling. We sure are watching quacks, quacks everywhere. :emoji_duck::emoji_duck::emoji_duck:

lycaena, Ron, DokaGirl and 9 others like this.