1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

US: Annual ME/CFS Working Group Meetings from 2020. Stanford/OMF

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Jaybee00, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Link here https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/an-announcement-from-ron-davis-phd.81243/

The ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center at Stanford is pleased to announce the 4th Annual ME/CFS Working Group Meeting on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS.

However, Unfortunately, the Community Day at Stanford has been cancelled due to the pandemic. However, after our Working Group meeting we will investigate whether we can produce a series of videos that will be accessible to everyone. Hopefully next year we will all be able to get together again.

I would like to get the agenda for this meeting, as well as list of participants @Ben H is this possible?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was wondering if this was going to happen this year. Glad to see they're still organizing a meeting. It's a bummer they're not able to have the community day this year. I enjoyed going in the past, both for the science and the chance to meet other patients, some who had traveled from all over the world to be there. That was really special.

merylg, sebaaa, mango and 8 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

upload_2020-9-10_14-49-48.png

Where are my Norwegians? Maybe they are participating by Zoom call, but not giving presentations?

RedFox, janice, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Maybe someone on twitter could tweet at Janet Dafoe to indicate a couple recordings (not all) of presentations that patients would be interested in hearing, e.g. Mark and Ron Davis and Robert Phair.

Kitty likes this.
  5. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

+1, last year big parts of the event were live streamed.

Kitty likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

In previous years they had a day or 2 for just the researchers so they could share unpublished information and discuss the research and develop and challenge ideas openly in a way they wouldn't be able to do if it was public. It looks like they are spreading over several short sessions what they would have done in that private time, to fit with different time zones. I wouldn't expect any of this to be made public.

The public talks were a separate event the next day.

RedFox, merylg, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  7. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some slides which appear to come from the symposium have turned up.

https://www.omf.ngo/wp-content/uplo...ium_Stanford-University_Sept-8-11-2020-v6.pdf

Please don't ask me where I found the link. I open links I stumble across in new tabs to read later. By the time later comes around I can't remember the origin of the link. I've googled but can't find any matching talk or speech notes to go with the slides. I did find a public OMF FB post giving the link to the slides but that's all.

The slides are a little difficult to interpret as they are, without further information. But they give intriguing glimpses into what Moreau is working on. All sorts, including the role of thrombospondin-1, a lipid-modyfying enzyme SMPDL3B, sleep disturbances after stressor, and a slide "MiR-140-5p expression could influence Rituximab bioavailability".

RedFox, merylg, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  8. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, janice, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That is so cool

Binkie4, Hutan, janice and 4 others like this.
  10. Ravn

For those who are wondering:
    moreau 2020 slide 5.JPG

Binkie4, Hutan, ahimsa and 7 others like this.
  11. Ravn

Must keep an eye on my sleep records next time I get hit with PEM to see if there's a change to REM sleep. I do know my deep sleep decreases significantly with PEM, I wonder why they didn't look at deep sleep here?
    moreau 2020 slide 6.JPG

Hutan, Michelle, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  12. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps you found the link from this OMF tweet.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1322179272480575488

Milo, MEMarge, janice and 3 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There was another working group meeting at Stanford in September 2021.
    There's a brief report of some topics discussed including metabolic traps and red blood cell deformity, and a list of attendees on PR here
    There won't be a published report or any videos, as it was a confidential online meeting including sharing as yet unpublished data.

14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Just looking back over the slides, from slide 7 there is a long discussion about thrombospondin-1. That's interesting given the latest work on microclots and the findings of elevated biomarkers related to thrombosis, including, I think thrombospondin-1 (Edit - no, it was thrombin - but they are related).
    Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 11.09.08 AM.png

I can't understand the graph - they say Cluster 3 showed an elevation in thrombospondin levels after a stress-test, but it looks as though the change in TSP-1 was negative.

Maybe Moreau and his co-investigators have published on this study? Slides 12-13 makes some suggestions on how to reduce TSP-1. (This was where the Nigella sativa suggestion came from.)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    merylg, Ariel, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  15. Jaybee00

Hutan, merylg and Binkie4 like this.
  16. Jaybee00

Hutan, RedFox and merylg like this.
  17. Jaybee00

18. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In a sea of terrible papers and dreadful medical behaviour it's always nice to see the real researchers get together and swap real ideas. May you find something interesting and inciteful and solve your problems quicker over a beer!

RedFox, merylg, Lilas and 6 others like this.
  19. Jaybee00

RedFox and merylg like this.
  20. Jaybee00