Open USA Massachusetts:Spaulding Fibromyalgia study

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Hutan, Sep 13, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From the latest Massachusetts ME/CFS and FM Association:

DO YOU SUFFER FROM FIBROMYALGIA?
    This research study investigates whether a method of non-invasive brain stimulation (tDCS) combined with physical exercise can help pain processing in adults with fibromyalgia.
    This research study requires 22 visits over 4.5 months to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Network in Cambridge, MA.

Requirements:
    Fibromyalgia for 6+ months
    18 - 65 years old
    Earn $15 per visit for your participation.
    For more information, please contact the Spaulding Neuromodulation Center
    Phone at: (617) 952-6158 E-mail: epichardo@partners.org

Maybe someone can find out if the research design is likely to produce an outcome that can be trusted? I'd be surprised if it is.

Ash, Dolphin, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin and Hutan like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The protocol looks like they're making a good attempt to be thorough, with 4 groups using real and sham brain stimulation and real and sham aerobic exercise. They are also measuring objective pain and other features during and after the treatment.

My main concern is whether any effect they find lasts, or needs to be topped up daily, since the treatment seems to be 5 days a week for 22 treatments, and the final follow up is not long after the final treatment. If attending a clinic to repeat treatment daily with monitoring etc, is needed to sustain any effect, then I can't see how it could be cost effective.

RedFox, shak8 and Dolphin like this.
  4. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this treatment going to be safe or cause lasting damage?