1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Viruses and Endocrine Diseases, 2023, Magloire Pandoua Nekoua et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Viral infections have been frequently associated with physiological and pathological changes in the endocrine system for many years. The numerous early and late endocrine complications reported during the current pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) reinforce the relevance of improving our understanding of the impact of viral infections on the endocrine system.

Several viruses have been shown to infect endocrine cells and induce endocrine system disturbances through the direct damage of these cells or through indirect mechanisms, especially the activation of the host antiviral immune response, which may lead to the development of local or systemic inflammation or organ-specific autoimmunity. In addition, endocrine disorders may also affect susceptibility to viral infections since endocrine hormones have immunoregulatory functions.

This review provides a brief overview of the impact of viral infections on the human endocrine system in order to provide new avenues for the control of endocrine diseases.

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2607/11/2/361

livinglighter, MeSci, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good to see a focus on viruses, and their not inconsequential affect on human health.

My own example is hypothyroidism. The cause deemed a virus. Several years on, I learned this is Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disease.

Unfortunately, given the one autoimmune disease, medical thoughts seemed not to stray to "cfs" being autoimmune.

3. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting re Hashimoto's diagnosis.

Rituximab trial suggests ME/CFS is not an autoimmune disease e.g. since rituximab has been used to treat autoimmune diseases like autoimmune arthritis and MS(?) and rituximab didn't work in ME/CFS.
    Still leaves the possibility of a sub-group of people with ME/CFS having an autoimmune disease like - Hashimoto's.

I think Ron Davis's NIH funded HLA genetic study (due to finish this year) would also pick up on a genetic signal indicating high prevalence of autoimmune disease in ME/CFS ---- still leaves the possibility of a sub-group ----
    Similarly Chris Ponting's UK GWAS study.

Wonder if:
    • the diagnostic [autoantibody?] test for Hashimoto's is reliable?
    • Hashimoto's is commonly missed i.e. in people diagnosed with ME/CFS?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    Hoopoe, Peter Trewhitt and DokaGirl like this.
  4. DokaGirl

Good question about accuracy. I wish I knew the answer. I had this test done back in the 1990's. I saw a doctor who specialized in thyroid problems among other health issues.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 8 years before my ME started. Looking back, and comparing to the disbelief about ME, and other physiological issues I've had that were dismissed, I'm fortunate to have had the hypothyroidism diagnosed relatively early.

I understand hypothyroidism is on the exclusion list re diagnosing ME. I don't know if Hashimoto's is.

FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yea, family members have thyroid problems and my daughter has disabling fatigue ----makes me wonder re level of understanding of thyroid problems.

DokaGirl, Amw66 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So puberty and pregnancy could be thought of in terms of endocrine function - system primed ?

DokaGirl, rvallee and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. DokaGirl

Oh yes. I delved into thyroid issues following my diagnosis of ME. This was because, at the time of course ME was just called "cfs".

And, what is that really? So, I researched a lot about causes of fatigue. I found that there can be a lack of knowledge about thyroid problems. For example, the range of symptoms that can be involved in hypothyroidism. Also, test results that are not definitive for hypothyroidism, but the individual does seem to display a lot of hypothyroid symptoms.

Of course, there can be other causes for fatigue, as we know all to well!

(I have family members who have hypothyroidism. When I was diagnosed I could only manage a partial day at work, and had exercise intolerance. I had other symptoms as well. Sounds familiar, eh?)

FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.