1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vulvodynia; next target "MUS" for ACT

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great. Nothing like women gaslighting other women.

oldtimer, AliceLily, rainy and 24 others like this.
  3. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

isn't acceptance and commitment therapy just a fancy way of saying it's your problem deal with it .

inox, oldtimer, AliceLily and 13 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

https://twitter.com/user/status/1417797249900466176

one to look out for: 'psychological flexibility' (the model underlying ACT).

"Psychological flexibility is the ability to stay in contact with the present moment regardless of unpleasant thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations, while choosing one's behaviors based on the situation and personal values."

"
    The Acceptance and Action Questionnaire-II (AAQ-II) is a seven-item, holistic measure of psychological flexibility, with items targeted to several of the six key processes: defusion, acceptance, and committed action (example item: 'I worry about not being able to control my worries and feelings'.)13 Aug 2013"

Michelle, Helene, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why would a group calling itself the "Vulval Pain Society" get so excited about a talk which discusses telling women their problems are all in their heads?

I notice that in this link referred to in the tweet :

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ejp.1841
    Title : The role of psychological flexibility, perceived injustice, and body-image in Vulvodynia: a longitudinal study

the reference to "perceived injustice" in the title implies that women are mistaken in seeing this and it isn't really there at all. So, the implication is that everyone who dismissed these suffering women and told them there was nothing wrong with them were right and the women were deluded?

Edit : Typo

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    inox, AliceLily, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Translation: If you have a bad day/week/life it is your fault. The circumstances of your life are irrelevant.

Michelle, alktipping, Helene and 7 others like this.
  8. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suffered from provoked vestibulitis in my 30s. It's a common form of vulvodynia. The gynaecologist was convinced I had a psychological problem but I persisted and he eventually performed a vestibulectomy. The surgery worked to a certain extent and the pain was hugely reduced but was still there to an extent. I complained again a year or two later and he then told me he had only done a partial removal of the glands involved. So I persisted some more and had the full procedure done. No more pain at all! I still think he found it hard to believe it wasn't all in my pretty little head though.
    The pain of this condition can be so great that "the ability to stay in contact with the present moment regardless of unpleasant thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations, while choosing one's behaviors based on the situation and personal values" is ludicrous.

Trish, Michelle, alktipping and 10 others like this.