1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘I’m going to beat this,’ Trump tells Rudy Giuliani of COVID-19 during phone call

“I feel I could get out of here right now. But they’re telling me there can always be a backstep with this disease. But I feel I could go out and do a rally.

“I am the president of the United States. I can’t lock myself in a room. … I had to confront [the virus] so the American people stopped being afraid of it so we could deal with it responsibly.

“We have made tremendous progress on treating this disease. Fatality rates are very low compared to [the beginning].

“I’m going to beat this.

“Then I will be able to show people we can deal with this disease responsibly, but we shouldn’t be afraid of it."

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2020
    FMMM1, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's the difference between a supraspreader superspreader spreader and a initial supersuper spreader?

FMMM1 likes this.
  3. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And just after the news broke yesterday evening, I was on here posting something about concerns about serious kidney problems associated with remdesivir ...

Leila, MEMarge and Sarah94 like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beating it by getting an experimental drug that is not available to everyone doesn't seem the way to stop American people being afraid.

sebaaa, lunarainbows, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  5. Barry

Can't respond with my real thoughts without infringing forum rules, so I'll refrain :).

6. Wits_End

I'm disturbed by this statement:

"Trump started showing symptoms by Thursday, a full day before the White House announced what were initially called “mild symptoms.”

Conley said Trump showed some common signs of COVID-19 on Thursday — a mild cough, stuffy nose and fatigue. The president tested positive that evening, the doctor said."

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/polit...-diagnosis/ar-BB19H5om?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=ASUDHP

I've not seen any indications of the bolded conditions being any sign/symptom of COVID-19 - if they were, I'd be worried that I had it myself - yet this is Trump's doctor speaking ...?

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are signs of lots of infections. Being Trump's doctor is not a reason to be believed over the CDC guidelines.

Wits_End and ahimsa like this.
  8. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ditto:mad:

I'll just be over here, banging my head against the wall, don't mind me. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

FMMM1, Hutan, Woolie and 9 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Responsibly, like knowingly exposing your staff to it?

Woolie, Wits_End, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  10. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Michelle likes this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very timely with the recent discussion over super-spreader events. This is how it happens. It's like in sports, offense has an advantage, it can fail most of the time and still succeed, defense has to be perfect. Especially when you create performative defense based on flawed assumptions. A very BPS approach, one might say.

Completely mum on the VP's testing status is suspicious.

Michelle likes this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So who was the spreader there?

FMMM1 and Michelle like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Timeline suggests patient zero was Hope Hicks, an aide, but impossible to say for sure. At this point dozens have been confirmed so we'll never know, no contact tracing was in place at the time and even White House employees weren't told much since. Basically a worst-case scenario.

Michelle, Sarah94 and Barry like this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it might be quite hard for an aide to infect 30 people at a party like that.
    More likely the waiter.

FMMM1 and TrixieStix like this.
  15. Wits_End

True. And if it's a military hospital, or whatever, I'm wondering how many previous Covid cases they've seen. Perhaps that might explain the rather unorthodox application of various medications.

Mithriel likes this.
  16. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What's to say there weren't multiple spreaders?

Michelle and Sarah94 like this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Michelle, Wits_End and 5 others like this.
  18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Barry

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-t...avirus-within-days-lung-doctor-warns-12091651
    Just saw video of him on the White House balcony last night, and he certainly seemed very short of breath ... very unusual for him.

Michelle, Wits_End, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Trump has allegedly only had Covid since his positive test last Thursday. He was given oxygen for an hour on Saturday before being flown to hospital.

One of the drugs he is taking is dexamethasone, a steroid that reduces the body's immune response.

However, I have just heard an expert on the BBC newscast podcast pointing out that the normal course of the illness is that you don't start needing oxygen until the second week, and dexamethasone shouldn't be given before that, as you need your immune response to fight the virus.

So the question raised on the podcast was, when did Trump get sick? The suggestion being that he has had the virus, and therefore been infectious, for several days longer.

Reporters' questions on this, asking when Trump had his most recent negative test have not been answered, raising suspicion that he was already infectious while attending several public events and not social distancing.

Michelle, Wits_End, Cheshire and 5 others like this.