1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2020
    rvallee, Barry, chrisb and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who could have seen this coming?

Hutan, ahimsa, Wits_End and 8 others like this.
  3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’ll be interesting to see if he uses the hydroxy as treatment

MEMarge and Leila like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He claimed that he took hydroxy months ago as a 'preventative' measure.

Wits_End likes this.
  5. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yep, dunno if he was still on it or not

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If Trump gets ME/CFS maybe this will lead to more research funding.

DigitalDrifter, Dakota15 and MEMarge like this.
  7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well he wont will he though. It will be something else. I mean even if he got all the symptoms and is bedbound 2yrs after it, anyone else would be dx with ME but there is simply no way he, or anyone else who is a prominent powerful person would allow themselves to be given an ME dx. I mean he keeps boasting on twitter about his 'good genes' so....

I dont intend that to be political i dont think most people with power, influence, & virtually unlimited resources would allow themselves to get a (in US) CFS dx.... i mean lol can you imagine? a president with fatigue**? they'd be laughed out of the white house. or Downing St alike. or LOL can you imagine Putin admitting to having CFS?:eek::laugh::cautious:

I think if he (or indeed many other of our people in power in powerful countries) does suffer from long covid it will be much harder to get the msg across that LC is basically the same symptom-wise as ME/CFS, because those in power will make hard to make the distinction and distinguish themselves from all those/lazy/malingering/hysterical people.

**of course we all wish it was simply fatigue but i dont see a president & all their aides making the case for 'you all dont understand CFS/ME is mouch more than tiredness'

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2020
    Sarah94, EzzieD, Arnie Pye and 2 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that the POTUS is the source of this information, so I suppose it must be genuine.

Sarah94 likes this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It appears that several high-ranking US officials caught it as well, including some senators. Saw reports for several senators, aides and people involved in the campaign. Many people who tested positive were in close quarters with others. They continued doing normal activities after knowing about positive tests, pretty much knowingly putting others at risk.

Including possibly the debate, where Biden was close to Trump for 90 minutes.

MEMarge, Sarah94, Wits_End and 3 others like this.
  10. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, he won’t have been on hydroxychloroquine still as a prophylactic - I read he stopped taking it after 2 weeks. But it would be interesting to know what treatments he’s started now, having tested positive. Maybe he’s started hydroxychloroquine again?!

11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trump received experimental Regeneron antibody therapy.

12. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those not in the USA, it's looking like there may have been a "superspreader" event at the White House Rose Garden - announcement of candidate for the Supreme Court vacancy - that may have been the source for many of the recent cases - POTUS, FLOTUS, a couple of US senators, some reporters, former White house Staffers, and more. And then the debate may have spread more cases.

Tweet from PBS NewsHour reporter Lisa Desjardins listing 23 positive tests:
    Code:
    https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1312242447574093824
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1312242447574093824

There's video of the rose garden event showing not only people without masks, and standing too close (I expected that) but also hugging & whispering (frankly, that shocked me). They were all acting as if things were normal, pre-pandemic. So it's not too surprising so many famous people got sick at that event. And to think folks brought their children to that event. :(

EDIT: The list now includes 3 US Senators

"Wisconsin Republican Ron Johnson on Saturday became the third U.S. senator to test positive for COVID-19 this week, joining GOP Sens. Mike Lee of Utah and Thom Tillis of North Carolina who also announced their test results."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  14. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From what I understand, there was also an indoor part in the ceremony - maybe it's more likely it spread there?

I can't remember any outdoor super spreading events, so far.

I just hope non of the kids got infected, their parents acted extremely reckless. Judge Barrett's son has Down Syndrome.

It's strange, you'd think "important" people would protect themselves better to do their important work. But maybe it makes you think you're invincible.

15. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Impotant people do not become ill. If they do, they are no longer important people.

16. rvallee

Don't want to go into details because politics but every single irony meter in the world has exploded from the circumstances that played out here. Just completely vaporized simultaneously. It would be considered over the top for satire.

2020 continues to deliver on the weirdness scale.

MEMarge, Hutan, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  17. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's speculation now that Trump has been positive tested as early as Wed.

Does that make him the superspreader? Or can't you transmit on Remdesivir + antibody treatment?

MEMarge likes this.
  18. rvallee

Yup. Here is the attorney-general (no test status confirmed) and a senator (no test status yet either) with the supreme court nominee to the right. In a closed room. Super-spreader event. It's kinda weird that super-spread events were more emphasized this week. Even weird is how obvious it was that it's those events that drive most infections. This has been so clear from Wuhan, France, Spain and Italy already.

[​IMG]

19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He is not that super spreader, (who spread a week or two ago) but he might turn out to be the subsequent supersuper spreader.

Leila, Mithriel, MEMarge and 4 others like this.