1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note: Please be mindful of Rule 12 - No non-ME politics.
    Posts stating facts about President Trump will be allowed, but please avoid making any comments that could be seen as political. The thread has been reviewed and some breaches have been identified and dealt with.

MEMarge, Sean, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems pretty clear that it was known that he was test positive earlier than we have been told.
    In the video he looks seriously sick. His lung function is not up to just standing and taking a mask off.
    And that is on steroids.
    I have no idea what will happen but at 74 I would expect it to take weeks to get back to functioning normally from that state.

MEMarge, Mithriel, Sarah94 and 11 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trump is also about to enter the period where people can get worse again from covid 19 related immune responses.

4. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hope this won't breach any rule. Just thought it's good to know that regarding misleading information about a pandemic, Twitter imposed some rules:

Screenshot_2020-10-06_Trump.png

Code:
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313449844413992961

lycaena, Sarah94, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Sarah94 and Barry like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was an interesting commentary from a US doctor routinely dealing with Covid-19 cases:
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...xt-for-trump-with-covid-19-us-doctor-explains

Sarah94, Michelle, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Twiv microbe TV has an excellent, but a bit technical medical exposition of the Trump covid saga here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFpp3pIRjGQ

Summarizing: Trump probably at Day 10 (second week) of infection. He'll need to clear the third week (micro-clotting in lungs and major clotting elsewhere, plus bacterial infections).
    Yes, he could leave the White House after the monoclonal cocktail and remdesivir which knock down the viral load, because he has medical monitoring and some equipment at the White House.

AND, is it vastly more reassuring to the American people to have your president out of the hospital (I certainly agree with that).

So, if infection began on Sept 27, he'll have to make it through three weeks at least to be sort of "out of the woods." That would put it around Oct 20.

MEMarge, Mij, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  8. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tool Singer Maynard Jame Keenan had Covid in Februrary and is still suffering from symptoms:

"And there's after-effects. I had to go through some major medications to undo the residual effects. Still coughing. There's still lung damage.

Q: Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear that.

A: Several of my friends, too. Very not old people, young people, in shape, runners, who contracted it as well. And they're still dealing with some of the after-effects. I lost a few family members."

[...]

"I still have the cough. Every other day, I have these coughing fits because my lungs are still damaged at the tips. And I just got over the inflammation that was going on with my wrist and hands. I had an autoimmune attack on my system in the form of, like, a rheumatoid arthritis. Basically, from what I understand, it attacks weird spots and it's random."

MEMarge, Sean, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  9. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and TiredSam like this.
  11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I admit that he is probably not well known to people who do not follow sport, but there is an interesting report concerning the cyclist Fernando Gaviria who has had to withdraw from the Giro. Apparently he is now positive for a second time, having previously been ill in February. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/54612253

NelliePledge and MEMarge like this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do they know (yet) whether these are new infections or reactivated infections?

Leila likes this.
  13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen nothing more than that report, but there are interesting questions which may yet be answered. Or not, as the case may be.

Mij likes this.
  14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2021
    Sean, Trish, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  15. Mij

RIP :heart:

Sean, Barry, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not necessarily well-known personally but there is a growing number of professional athletes who are struggling, some to the point of putting their career on hold. So far it's more than a handful in professional hockey, including a high-profile prospect who was about to start his professional career and returned home to convalesce.

There is also a star player (Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks) who has taken the whole season off with an explanation that sounds a whole lot like ME, but is unclear whether it's Covid-related. He basically said some of the same things here.

Hockey is a sport of intense conditioning. Basically a series of sprints over 2.5 hours, short shifts of high intensity. It requires peak conditioning.

I'm mostly posting because the hockey community is responding to it surprisingly well, is probably more aware of post-Covid illness than most because of high-profile cases, makes it more visible.

Finnish newspaper: COVID has ruined Ristolainen's physical conditioning

Louie41, shak8, mango and 9 others like this.
  17. Mij

White House Senior Adviser for COVID response Andy Slavitt reveals that his son has LC.

ahimsa, Louie41, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  18. Mij

ahimsa, Louie41, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, this could be significant if he means it. This is one person who can make that happen, or at least tip the balance in a way to make that happen. Nothing beats being a real stakeholder in a serious matter to really take it seriously.

And if I'm correct on the timeline this was before his son's illness, so the stakes have risen significantly. He is a former administrator of Medicare/Medicaid services, can have huge influence if he flexes political muscle.

Snow Leopard, Sean, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  20. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

fwiw - Slavitt is leaving in June - his position with the administration was a short-term appointment (max of limit of 120 days allowed I believe).

Louie41 and Hutan like this.