1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What diagnosis do you apply for disability with?

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by svetoslav80, Aug 19, 2021.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe a general disability group. I know some people with ME in the U.K. who have found SCOPE supportive - it used to be a cerebral palsy charity but now widened its remit.

2. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know, I doubt it but I should probably make a research.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I was idly googling and found this interesting tribute by a charity, Validity, based in Hungary focused on mental health advocacy, but clearly working in Bulgaria and very connected to the disability rights movement there.
    https://validity.ngo/2017/03/09/a-tribute-to-rusi-stanev/
    Validity might be able to suggest an organisation that could help, or perhaps the Bulgarian charities* that are mentioned in the tribute, or the lawyer that is mentioned might be able to direct you someone:
    *Bulgarian Centre for Nonprofit Law; GIP-Sofia

GIP-Sofia is presumably allied to the Global Initiative on Psychiatry:
    I'm sorry if this isn't what you were after when you asked the question @svetoslav80. It's just that if I have learned anything about benefit applications from this forum, it's that they are almost always complicated and difficult, and getting help from someone who knows how to jump through the hoops is a good idea. And people with ME/CFS deserve some help to deal with the particular barriers we face.

Sarah, Kitty, Wits_End and 6 others like this.
  4. Mike Harley

Mike Harley Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hiya, I'm afraid I didn't manage to find anyone in Bulgaria. Still trying....

5. Mike Harley

Hi @svetoslav80 . I'd love to interview you if you felt like sharing your story. Perhaps it would help other Bulgarians to find you and raise awareness a little.

http://www.mikeseumarathons.eu/bulgaria.html

Starlight, ahimsa, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My story includes alcohol abuse so probably not a good advertisement for the community. If this is not a problem then I don't mind.

Starlight, Hutan and Kitty like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In addition to ME, members of our community have the full range of problems that can affect human beings, so it's lucky that we don't need any of them to be advertisements! I imagine fellow patients would offer nothing except compassion to someone who has lived with two exceptionally difficult illnesses.

Starlight, Hutan, Mike Harley and 4 others like this.
  8. Mike Harley

Not at all, that doesn't make your story any less important and valid. I'll drop you a message directly.

Starlight, Trish, svetoslav80 and 3 others like this.