1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to get reusable respirators

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Samuel, Mar 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i am bedridden and already extremely precarious life. not prepared for coronavirus. [but i also need a respirator for mold and dust, which here is at really dangerous levels.]

i had a survivair triple flange silicone blue half mask, but i think i ruined it. i can't seem to find any place that is reputable looking and not sold out. it was slighly too large. i will try to clean it, not sure what to do to clean it adequately. it got in moldy diry place. maybe vodka.

so i want another exactly like it, or maybe slightly smaller, and adequate filters for coronavirus. and maybe a full mask.

ruining a mask on the eve of a viral pandemic is not a good idea. note: i am not in the uk.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Would it be possible to contact the manufacturer for advice on cleaning, and on how you can get a new mask for your medical needs? Good luck sorting this. I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Louie41, Samuel, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Samuel

In my research I saved a few websites for FPP2 face masks. From Kekules website:
    Respirator
    A respirator or “filtering half mask” (Spanish: Mascarilla sanitaria, French: Masque respiratoire German: Atemschutz-Halbmaske) is designed to protect the wearer from hazardous atmospheres, including bacteria and viruses. The technical specifications are regulated in many countries. In the EU, they are classified according to EN 149:2001+A1:2009 in three protection levels (FFP1, FFP2, FFP3). Outside EU, the US classification NIOSH N95 is commonly used. N95 means that at least 95% of particles (under certain test conditions) are withheld, which is equivalent to FFP2. FFP3 filtration efficiency is at least 98%.

(Edited to get rid of disposable mask links, didn’t realise they were disposable!! Kept the reusable ones).

There is this (moulded are reusable, think unmoulded are not), says sourced in England: https://www.ukmeds.co.uk/hygiene-face-mask-ffp2-n95

Louie41 and Samuel like this.
  4. lunarainbows

Louie41 and Samuel like this.
  5. lunarainbows

Just a note, I have seen advice elsewhere that if you have any respiratory conditions like asthma or COPD, it is best to seek medical advice before using masks like these ones (ie proper masks, not surgical masks), as it can restrict breathing and make the situation bad. So for example myself with asthma, I won’t be buying these ones unless some medical professional tells me I should do.

Louie41, Wits_End, Samuel and 2 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can tell this is ONE (1) mask of the type that a couple of months ago were being sold in boxes of 50 for around £10 a box - the picture looks the same, the specs are the same.

Being sold by uk meds for £25 each, for a 20p mask

Samuel, Louie41 and lunarainbows like this.
  7. lunarainbows

Wow that’s terrible. I can’t see any pictures on the site for the moulded masks - which are supposed to be reusable according to their website (is it the side picture?)

Edit: they’re supposed to be 20p each?? The FPP2 ones? If so that is a terrible and unethical price hike :/

Samuel and Louie41 like this.