Why the Psychosomatic View on [ME/CFS] Is Inconsistent with Current Evidence and Harmful to Patients, 2023, Thoma et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is also concerning that psychology students carry the misinformation re so called psychosomatosis into their subsequent lives, they may become parents, may go on to have family members who get misdiagnosed or labelled with any of the multiple 'conditions' under the psychosomatic umbrella. University psychology courses are a means of disseminating BPS disinformation into society.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    alktipping, Solstice, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair the problems of psychosomatic medicine do not originate with trained research psychologists, but with other professionals, most of whom like Freud started from a medical training.

The problems with such as the current BPS research were well understood within experimental psychology when I was an undergraduate over forty five years ago, and there are research options to start to address them. Unfortunately psychology, with a few notable exceptions such as Brian Hughes, has stood back and allowed clinical research to disappear down this particular rabbit hole.

alktipping, Solstice, EndME and 7 others like this.
  3. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin, Solstice, tmrw and 5 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MeSci, EzzieD, RedFox and 4 others like this.