1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Brexit affect funding for ME research?

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sarah94, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've heard some things about Brexit affecting academic research funding...

Barry and Louie41 like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read that Brexit will prevent scientists from accessing the €100 billion Horizon Europe research fund.

Currently there is almost no EU funding for ME/CFS but that could change.

petrichor, Louie41, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

While I wouldn't like to predict when it would happen but I'm sure that the EU must, at some point, wake up to the idea of funding ME research. Once that point is reached, if the UK has left the EU at that time, then it will most probably be more difficult for UK researchers to access that funding. That's why I think it's important that the UK is a part of any pan-European efforts such as EUROMENE.

Annamaria, alktipping, Barry and 8 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would not underestimate the impact it may have on IAPT and the MUS ideology in general. Funding bloated whale corpses isn't the best of ideas when government treasury is bleeding cash. The churn of cheap low-quality psychosocial "research" may continue, it's cheap enough, but IAPT is likely to have a more limited scope, preferring instead the route of privatizing/selling as much as possible over a Rube Goldberg approach at denying medical care and defunding services by attrition.

ME research will have to be self-funded no matter what for the foreseeable future, though. I don't think it will have much of an impact on us, the only upside of being denied funding is you can't deny much further. As long as Wessely and his acolytes have any influence, and right now they have the maximum influence they will ever have, I don't expect things in the UK to overcome their ability to sabotage on the research front.

The best course would be for the few genuine ME researchers in the UK to strongly depend on international collaboration efforts. It will mitigate funding shortages by spreading out costs and sharing progress as it happens.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not really. The UK probably puts more money in than it gets out at present. The gripe is that cheap PhD student labour will be harder to find. I find these complaints from empire building academic politicos pretty pathetic. European funding options tend to be extremely bureaucratic and fairly limited in use in my experience.

6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it's anything like EU arts funding, people will actively avoid applying! It's a shame, there have been some brilliant arts projects with genuinely radical thinking, but if you're not part of a large organisation, the bureaucracy just isn't manageable. I once got £5k for a project – a tiny component of a much bigger one, run by another company – and I had to submit the paperwork for it. It took a couple of days of full-time work, and included making four copies of every receipt and bus ticket, and analysing them in different ways on two separate forms. Never again. :banghead:

Sarah94, ladycatlover, Trish and 2 others like this.