‘It’s personal to me’: A qualitative study of depression in young people with CFS/ME 2017 Crawley,Loades

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Background: Paediatric chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) has a prevalence of 0.4–2.4% and is defined as ‘generalised disabling fatigue persisting after routine tests and investigations have failed to identify an obvious underlying cause’. One-third of young people with CFS/ME have probable depression. Little is known about why depression develops, the relationship between depression and CFS/ME, or what treatment might be helpful.

Methods: We conducted nine semi-structured interviews with young people with CFS/ME (aged 13–17years, 8/9 female) and probable depression, covering perceived causes of depression, the relationship between CFS/ME and depression, and treatment strategies.

Results: Most thought CFS/ME caused depression. Many discussed a cyclical relationship: low mood made CFS/ME worse. A sense of loss was common. CFS/ME restricted activities participants valued and changed systemic structures, causing depression. There was no single helpful treatment approach. Individualised approaches using combinations of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), medication, activity management and other strategies were described.

Conclusion: This study suggests that depression may be secondary to CFS/ME in young people because of the impact of CFS/ME on quality of life. Clinicians treating young people with CFS/ME need to consider strategies to prevent development of depression, and research is needed into approaches that are effective in treating CFS/ME with co-morbid depression.

‘It’s personal to me’: A qualitative study of depression in young people with CFS/ME (sagepub.com)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2024
    Nightsong, Tia, JohnTheJack and 5 others like this.
  2. Yann04

Yann04 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

to be fair when that is the definition, (I’m assuming this refers to 2007 NICE guidelines) we aren’t even talking about the same disease anymore.

Medfeb, Nightsong, Amw66 and 12 others like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reminds me of the times that my parents told me in my teens that I couldn't be depressed because children had nothing to be depressed about, and therefore children couldn't suffer from depression.

cfsandmore, Ash, Lou B Lou and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Ash, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The bit I have read has actually been pretty good, aside from a belief that CBT has a material impact on the disease itself. The conclusion in the abstract isn't bad.

Here's some commentary on some of those sweet secondary benefits of ME/CFS:

Nightsong, Amw66, Ash and 7 others like this.
  6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

YP3 had very good insight into why our education system wilfully fail our young people as always box ticking leads to worse outcomes .

Nightsong, Ash, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  7. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No its - and this is ironic ‘lazy diagnoser diseases’ when they admit the criteria they’ve been encouraging

are there many chronic including serious diseases that don’t present with disabling fatigue? I mean even PEM makes sense when you think the defining feature is UNTREATED and then MALTREATMENT for long enough to create unnecessary secondary issues.

and then their obsession with writing all sorts to ensure those people never ever get heard or investigated in future so ‘they can’t be proven wrong’

‘by obvious tests’ .. I’d like them to narrow down how ‘narrow’ and how few important conditions they ‘could’ have ever picked up with those, and how unusual it would have used to have been to stop at those

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No shit Sherlock .

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too bad they never bothered saying this. Neither did Wessely after he first assumed it was depression, then found it wasn't. The vast majority of MDs think both are true, largely because of their work, which debunks the claims, but they never bothered saying out loud, let alone insisting that people stop saying that. They could have done a lot of good here, but chose not to, instead contributed to harm.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    Ash, bobbler, Deanne NZ and 7 others like this.