1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“Unstoppable” documentary

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, May 10, 2022.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Dolphin

DokaGirl and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow!!

An idea no one else has ever tried, even those who had no choice but to carry on (practically everyone)..
    Obviously no one, including those who had no option but to carry on, has ever thought of carrying on with life/work/etc.

Absolutely no one.

What a revolutionary idea.

(I can't help but wonder if the idea to become a life coach, and show people how to be 'unstoppable' came before of after...)

Solstice, bobbler, shak8 and 19 others like this.
  4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ‘cured’ evangelical former patient seems to be a feature of ME/CFS and it is difficult given the high level of misdiagnosis (circa 40%) to retrospectively be certain if they did or did not have what is now understood by ME where we would only expect to see full recovery in as few as 6%.

However, is it the case that that ME has more of these proselytising former patients than other conditions? Many years ago I knew a very active nutritionalist who believed his cancer had been cured by the Cambridge diet and was certainly motivated to share his ‘good news’. So perhaps we are just aware of the ME prophets because this is something we are interested in, but miss the prophets for other conditions.

Perhaps we will never know if such people definitely had ME and if they were one of the lucky few that actually recovered. However such stories do indicate why medicine needs to be governed by science and not anecdote.

shak8, John Mac, Leila and 23 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

And with a condition that is commonly fatal like cancer*, there could be a survivor bias where you don’t hear again from those who passed away and what they tried, you only have those who survived who may tend to ascribe their survival to whatever they did.

*I know survival rates do vary by cancer type

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    John Mac, MEMarge, Leila and 18 others like this.
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt very much that she ever had ME. Her fatigue started after having two kids and according to the video, she was "burnt out". She now calls herself a "Mindset and Empowerment Coach". :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

John Mac, Leila, oldtimer and 11 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh::thumbup::laugh:

MEMarge, oldtimer, Ash and 3 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some "recovered" proseletisers speak too soon. I've met two of them.

They were super enthusiastic, about how they "recovered", until their illness came back with a vengeance.

I would say it's terrible to have this remittance/return cycle. I have never had a break from ME.

John Mac, MEMarge, oldtimer and 14 others like this.
  9. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MS has its share, not so many, obviously, but some are making a good living from it.

Because there are so few, MS patients are not as wary as us.

MEMarge, DokaGirl, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  10. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With back of the envelope maths I would say Cancer(s) win this undesirable trophy hands down. The Cancer fraudster leaves ALL other diseases and conditions in the dust…..

These are players
    High risk
    High stakes
    Massive win’s and the occasional expose.

Then there’s the “Depression” crew jogging along behind in second place waving cheerfully “Yuuu Hoo, wait for me!”
    Those fuckers are unrealisticly optimistic. They will never get close.

Then there’s everyone else. Amongst the throng there’s a ME here a CFS here.

They’re the lunch time on week day entertainment. They’re the Medium at your local Spiritualist church who spends half an hour with their side kick getting their guesses about your deceased relatives and general life circumstances wrong. I do mean all of them every one, a miss. Everyone all 4/5 (It was a long time ago) attendees of the ‘service’ just squirming and they just can’t even hit up 50/50 guess like was it a grandma or a grandpa?
    (Probably one of these but they’re about to guess the wrong one)

However getting back to the Chronic Fatiguer specifically. This field does have a special advantage over many others. And that’s the genuine no risk position it occupies. Absolutely and totally 100% risk free endeavour.

Why?
    Because absolute self serving pure bullshit doesn’t require any actual skill or background knowledge to practice. And in this particular instance you won’t get critical engagement from outside. Since yours is the exact same approach used by 99% of medical professionals endorsed by 99% of press coverage and 100% of government and health insurance bodies. Who’s gonna call you out?

It’s a very very popular option for the basic entry level scam crew. The real dregs.

Your Chronic Fatigue grifter promo material makes the local scam car dealer’s advertising look professional grade. Your winning.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    John Mac, DokaGirl, oldtimer and 6 others like this.
  11. tropicalmum

tropicalmum Established Member

Merged thread

A new documentary is online and is called Unstoppable. I did give it a watch and the documentary itself is very well done and I did relate to the story, personally as a mother. I would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts? I think it's definitely a more positive piece than what the media paint nowadays of the illness.

Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Kbo85PJeM

I think I may have saw on Twitter the MEA had involvement in the film? I know the trailer was shared on this forum before that's how I found it, I'm fairly new to the site.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A warm welcome to the forum @tropicalmum. I hope you will stick around to understand why members here had a different response to the documentary to you. The place in the clip you linked involves yoga - 'have you tried yoga?' is something of a catch phrase around here.

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Reference to David Lloyd at the end presumably the location for the yoga classes.

couldn’t see any reference to MEA so I don’t think they are involved especially when some of the content is incorrect

rather shocking to hear the husband say

I thought ME was very like MS, physical but no it was Ellen who taught me ME is burnout……….:banghead:

14. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Firstly, I'm very happy for Ellen and her family. They seem very happy and that's a big thing.

But as far as the rest goes, where do you start?

Most clients are:
    High achieving women
    Type A personalities
    All of them "are very heart-centred and very driven women"
    (With enough $$$$ for one-to-one life coaching sessions)
    People often come because they want to grow and "work on themselves".
    It's about "subconscious reprogramming", which is "really powerful"

Said by Ellen's yoga teacher - " ... scientists have proven that the heart has its own brain and that when we tune into that state of gratitude we can change all chemicals, all of our emotions and moods [?] just in that moment". But how useful would that be after "that moment"?

Said by a client, "We teach what we need to learn". Eh? How does that work?

Burnout or ME/CFS?
    ME/CFS caused by burnout?
    Recovered but still not well at times? Though I suppose that should go in the 'what is recovery' basket.

I didn't make it to the end.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't doubt the person who made the video thinks they had ME and thinks their happy thoughts and yoga cured them. I wish them well personally, but I cannot condone irresponsible spreading of misinformation about ME like this. It will do a lot of harm to people who are very sick if this becomes popular.

Ali, NelliePledge, DokaGirl and 8 others like this.
  16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

First half-minute buzzwords - chakra, gratitude, divine love. Unfortunately the spread of this kind of harmful nonsense does indeed seem to be unstoppable.

17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, Good. When you have watched "Unstoppable", they give you the option of watching "Never be lazy again".

18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That's ridiculous, what lazy person would click on that? And nobody else would need to.

19. tropicalmum

Ellen didn't make the video herself it seems it was done by a production company for the channel? I guess they just wanted her to voice her own journey. I related to it but it seems very divided on this forum. A lot of other youtube videos and films also suggest yoga and spirituality as 'recovery' however I feel that they are more of a 'coping' method or ways to calm the body, It definitely won't by any means cure ME.

20. tropicalmum

I think what we have with this video is a real story of someone with ME that clearly struggles but has used their entrepreneurial spirit to turn it into a business venture coaching women.

DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.